Chapter 6

^
The Penta Province.

                    °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

"I can't shoot that fast. If I hit one, the others would be alerted of where we are. I can't put you at risk like that." Ayla explained in a whisper, her eyes on the Chigaru as they circled around, an array of sharp weapons in their hands. I felt numb and stricken. The men were only a few feet away from seeing us and, judging by the look on Ayla's face, there's not much she could do with me as baggage.

Just why did I have to come?

                     °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

My heart was pumping fast as I gazed at the Chigaru who were now zeroing in on our location. Holding my breath, I ducked as low as I could behind the cart, but before the fear could swallow me whole, a sound erupted in the distance.

The sound of rapid footsteps came from the corner that the Chigaru had come from and I peered over the cart slightly to see Emut appear, a large sword in his right hand and a shield in the other. I watched in awe as he swiftly used the sword to impale one Chigaru, whilst using his shield to strike a man at the nape. The lightening speed and strength of the blow resulted in the sound of cracking bones to reverberate through the alley and I stilled as both men fell simultaneously to the floor. He continued in such a manner, his eyes holding the burning intensity of a thousand suns.

Following behind, Demir entered, weapon in hand. Unlike Emut, he didn't hold a shield, but only a long single-edged blade on a 6ft pole. It was very large, but he handled it with finesse and familiarity. He didn't stab them, but rather used the weapon for a more ungraceful assault, slashing through a man with one end and skewering another with the other. This didn't slow him down in the slightest and he moved at an unbelievable speed, his grey eyes glistening like moonlight, a smirk on his face as he watched the blood pour like rainfall.

Then, suddenly, another tumble of footsteps sounded through the street, men piling in from every direction of the area.

20? No, 40 men?

Emut and Demir seemed strong, but they were evidently outnumbered and I watched in fear as the men circled around them, weapons at the ready. The silence was deafening as the opposing teams waited for the other to strike. That was until a Chigaru from the left decided to act, his sword facing forward, a savage battlecry leaving his lips. He charged at Emut at an inhumane speed and Emut readied his sword, waiting. However, his wait was unfruitful as before any of their swords could make contact, the Chigaru was mysteriously struck down, his body falling limp to the dusty ground. I looked on in shock as his body convulsed like a fish without water before laying still. What's more shocking was the large gaping hole in his back or, rather, the smoke that rolled off his body in waves.

Demir scoffing broke the deafening silence.

"You know, we don't need your help, Maya." He spoke, a teasing tone to his voice as if he hadn't just witnessed what I did.

The Chigaru was struck down by a ball of fire and, if I hadn't been hallucinating, the fire had come straight from Maya's hand. I watched as she recoiled her hand back to her body before retrieving the daggers at her belt, a scowl on her face

"From where I stood, you looked like a damsel in distress to me." Maya spoke jokingly and then she was racing towards the crowd. I watched as she jumped high, dodging the hands of 5 men before landing in the centre with Demir and Emut. She twirled the daggers in her hand and I watched in awe as the flames from her hand licked and hugged the daggers. She threw the daggers in two directions, one striking a man in between his eyes and the other in his neck. One fell straight down, his eyes wide and vacant whilst the other screamed in pain. The flames from the dagger engulfed his veil and he jumped frantically in place before also collapsing from the heat, his face scalded.