Chapter 68

Emut nodded his head then and we broke away as I walked towards the direction of the sound. I crept quietly, letting out a small gasp when my eyes landed again on the terrifying creature. It was scouring around the bushes, looking for us like a cat would a mouse.

The sound of footsteps sounded and I turned abruptly to see Maya running out. It turned towards her then and Maya raised her hands in unison, letting out a small string of fire that created a small glow in the clearing. Just as quick, the Ammit raised its scaly thick tail and blocked the fire.

"It's tail is immune to attack." She remarked loudly before dropping her fire and making a move to run. The beast ran to follow, but then Emut entered at lightning speed, dodging from left and right, making the beast whip back and forth as a distraction. Meanwhile, Demir jumped down effortlessly from a high branch, his glaive whirring in his hand. He landed atop the beast, slicing at it, but the sound of his glaive clanging against a hard surface echoed across the clearing.

He flipped back then, landing in a crouch, a frown on his face.

"There's an armour or shell that prevents penetration." He called out to the rest of us and Emut sped out of the clearing onto the opposite side while the beast tried to follow him.

Maya nudged me with her arm and I turned to her as she panted heavily.

"Why don't you revitalise me like you did on the boat? My flames were much stronger then. Perhaps, it'll help." She breathed out to which Ayla nodded, sitting back against the rock.

She had been feeling weak, despite the fact that I had healed her injuries and I knew that it was because I had taken away the lethality of the wounds, but not the pain.

I processed Maya's words, turning my tepid gaze where Emut's form had disappeared. He had told me not to use it, but if it worked, it could help the cause. I nodded eagerly to which Maya reached a hand out to me, her cautious gaze on the beast that was looking for Emut on the opposite side of the clearing. Demir was somewhere up in the branches and Abrax checking in on Ayla.

Opening the door, I focused on Maya's hands where I knew the power originated from. I pushed my power there until her hands were buzzing and my head was fuzzy.

"Are you okay? You're shaking?" Maya asked, holding to my shoulders and I nodded numbly before pointing to the clearing.

"You should go, Emut may need you." I stumbled out and she nodded before running out. I leaned against a tree as I looked to Maya as she ran out.

The creature was facing away from her and she raised her hands, letting the power stream out. The fire was thicker than strings now and the whole jungle was alight with the bright orange glow of her flame, making me gape even through the dizziness.

However, before it could even touch the back of the beast, it raised its tail and blocked the attack yet again, making Maya curse loudly. It turned to her then, hurtling to her at an insane speed with it's large claws exposed.

Suddenly, Demir rushed in, standing in front of her, his glaive holding back the outstretched claws of the beast.

"In what way does standing like a vegetable in front of the enemy ensure a win?" He mused, looking to Maya with a side glance who merely scowled back, folding her arms. The beast pushed against his glaive with so much force, I was afraid his weapon would snap. I nearly screamed in warning when it raised its tail to attack him.

It all happened so fast- Demir spun his glaive gracefully before swinging it powerfully towards the beast, slicing roughly through one of its claws to which a bellowing roar broke through the clearing. It swung blindly with its tail that Demir jumped gracefully to avoid, landing in a crouch.