Chapter 54

I was dying from the heat. The room was stuffy to say the least with a small slit of a window at the top of one wall. With the exception of that, the room was dark and dusty, making me feel suffocated.

I had imagined the power, time and time again. It was a brilliant glimmering red, like blood that pushed against the door, trying to seep through the keyhole. But I held it back, until I commanded it forward and- when I did- it gushed out like a raging river, staining the depths of my brains.

I wiped my clammy hands against my legs before stretching my aching back. I had been sat in the same position for a while, making my back strain. In the midst of it all, I had swept my hair to one side and it tickled the top of my thigh as I sat.

"How is it going?" Bomani's voice emanated from the door and I let out a yelp, making him chuckle. I heard him enter then, shutting the door behind him and I let out a sigh.

"The same as it has been going for the past 2 days. I don't feel any different." I muttered to which Bomani neared.

"Well, I suppose another hour will help then." Bomani finalised and I gaped.

"It's not working and you want to leave me here for another hour?" I asked incredulously, my hands clenching tightly.

I yelped again when Bomani flicked my forehead.

"You'll never find a rainbow, if you're looking down." Bomani answered curtly and I let out a sigh of frustration before opening my eyes and gesturing to myself.

"In case it has evaded your notice, I've not been looking down; I've been looking at the inside of my eyes for the past 3 days." I answered, irritation bubbling in my tone and my vision focused as I looked to Bomani knelt next to the wall.

I had expected to see him get angry at me disobeying his orders, but instead he just nodded, processing my words. It was almost as though he expected my outburst. I watched tepidly as he crouched down to look at me.

"What would you propose to do then?" He asked and I faltered slightly at his words, not having thought of the next step.

I tutted, brushing a stray tendril of hair behind my ear.

"I don't know, but I'd much rather not sit here, not knowing what I'm doing for a few hours." I finalised with a firm look and Bomani pointed to me with a smile.

"There. That's what I want." He proclaimed and my eyebrows furrowed.

"What?" I asked to which he shook his head.

"That feeling of wanting to be in control; to not be told to just sit for no reason. You need to feel that." He began before sticking his palms out to me, gesturing for me to do the same.

I followed his actions, looking to my hands as he spoke.

"You are in control, Hanna. The release of your powers is only your choice. Clasp your hands together." He instructed and I nodded, clasping my hands together. I could feel the heat emanating from my skin and silently promised myself I would shower after this.

"Close your eyes and now imagine that door again." He said and I nodded, closing my eyes and thinking of the black door, deep in my subconscious. It came to me so quickly. After all, I had pictured it for more than 2 days.

"Picture your powers locked behind that door, just waiting to get out." He urged and I thought of the red shimmering liquid, pushing against the door violently. It tried to seep through the star keyhole, but I denied it entry.

"Now, whenever you feel is right, you open that door and allow your powers out." He said, his voice a distant whisper and I nodded, taking a deep breath in.