Chapter 61

If I wasn't nervous before then I was definitely now. I just hoped I wouldn't be the one to ruin our chances of obtaining the key.

Exhaling deeply, I thought of what Ayla had advised me earlier.

"Think of leaving those you loved in Earth. Think of those who were unjust to you, Hanna."

I thought back to the memories of Sue and Marie, both of whom I had to leave behind. They were there for my teenage years and, now, they were essentially erased from my life by a split-second decision.

However, try as I might, I felt no tears. Yes, there was sadness, but the memories and relations of Earth were faded and weak in comparison to the ones forged in Aaru. I couldn't find myself to regret leaving Earth and I let out a sigh of frustration.

If Demir heard me, he didn't choose to show it and the silence closed in on my ears as I clenched my eyes shut.

I could do this; I was the daughter of Isis, after all.

I rolled my eyes internally at the ridiculousness of my thoughts. A daughter of Isis? How was I able to confidently proclaim that? Indeed, she was my birth-giver yet the word 'mother' meant something else to me entirely; something that I hadn't experienced properly in my 20 years of existence.

The thought was slightly upsetting and I clung to it like a leech, thinking of how many times I would try to imagine my biological mother. The amount of times I had hoped she would rush into Debra's house and stake her claim on me, taking me away from the nightmares of living with them. We would move away from the rainy streets of Staffordshire and to a sunny bustling city- just a normal life in a normal city, those were the unreachable dreams of my childhood.

Debra had told me that I wasn't wanted; that I was purposely given away. That had stuck with me and I recall the nights of deep misery where I would question what was wrong with me. Why was I destined to live like this and why hadn't my mother wanted me?

I felt the warm build of tears welling in my eyes and blinked as quick as I could before my eyes dried the tears away. A single tear rolled down my cheek and I let out a sigh of relief at this, opening my eyes to see that Demir was turning my way the whole time, a blank look on his face as he gazed at me intrusively.

"I told you to turn away." I murmured, feeling embarrassed as I leaned over the water pit, watching as the tear dropped with a small splash, causing ripples to form in the small pond.

Demir shrugged indifferently at my words.

"You never said that I couldn't turn back." He retorted and I rolled my eyes at his words as he looked into the pit.

"What did you think about that made you cry?" He asked and I opened my mouth to say 'the thought of you', but chose against it. He had been through the same pains, if not more, with his own parental issues. In any case, now would be a good time to divulge; to release some of the pent up sadness.

"I thought of my mother or lack thereof." I answered awkwardly, letting out a small laugh at the end of my sentence and Demir's gaze snapped to me, his still grey gaze holding my own. I rocked slightly, feeling pathetic to have made such an admission when everyone in Aaru had been subjected to so many deaths and cruelties.

"It's stupid, I know." I muttered, stepping away from the water pit and Demir broke eye contact then, shaking his head.

"It's probably one of the only things you've said that wasn't stupid." He answered teasingly and I let out a small laugh before nudging him slightly.

"Your turn now." I said with a smile and he nodded before looking to my waist with a curious gaze. I watched, still, as he reached over and grabbed the dagger that Maya had given me, his large hand stroking against my hip. I let out a startled noise at this, jumping back with a slight red tint to my cheek.