Chapter 66

There was a moment of silence where I opened my mouth to say something, but couldn't find the words.

"Demir, I'm so sor-" I said, but he cut me off once again, his eyes finally turning to me.

"Don't." He instructed simply and I nodded numbly to which he turned back to the wall. He didn't want the apologies or pity and I understood that completely.

"Why?" I asked in a quiet voice, knowing he knew what I meant. He let out a scoff at this, turning his icy gaze back to me.

"Why do you think, Hanna? I'm not considered to be from the best lineage, am I?" He retorted and I sighed in frustration.

"But, you were a child! You could have died." I bit out in anger and Demir shook his head at my words.

"I think that was the point." He remarked and I rolled my eyes before looking to him yet again.

"How did you manage to survive?" I asked tepidly, hoping it didn't anger him. I let out a deep breath when he merely sighed, leaning back to lie with his arms behind his head.

"The woman I had told you about on the village council- she heard the music of the bull from her home and came to stop it. I just remember counting the minutes down when I saw her face as she opened the door." He recalled, an indecipherable expression on his face. I noted how she had heard music, meaning that he had voiced his pains, but chose to not pick up on it.

"Counting the minutes down?" I asked curiously and Demir smiled slightly, his eyes flitting over to me.

"It takes around 20 minutes to die in a brazen bull." He commented simply and I felt the bile raise to my throat at the thought. Shaking my head, I looked to him with a serious gaze.

"It shouldn't have been like that." I voiced my thoughts and Demir huffed slightly, rolling his eyes.

"What did you expect to happen? They weren't wrong to fear me, Hanna; my powers were unstable." He explained to me as though he were speaking to a child and I scowled.

"Is that the same reasoning you apply to the lashes on your back?" I spilled out before I could control it and my eyes widened slightly when I processed my words. Demir's gaze snapped to me at this as he looked to me and I fidgeted under his gaze. At long last, he turned his gaze to the ceiling.

"I suppose it is." He answered calmly and I felt rage that he could be so collected after all they had done. I had blown up at Debra for her injustice to me and rightfully so. I raised a palm towards him with a firm look on my face.

"Let me-" I began, but Demir shook his head swiftly, rolling his eyes.

"I told you before- I don't need it to be healed." He replied and I shook my head, keeping my palm raised.

"No, let me see it." I corrected to which he frowned, his gaze fixing on me.

"Why?" He questioned and I seethed internally as I spoke in a steady manner.

"Because I want to see; I want to understand." I answered simply with a shrug. There were a few moments of silence as Demir looked to me, his scrutinizing gaze making me tense, but nevertheless I kept my firm gaze on him. After what seemed like hours, he sighed heavily, running a hand through his midnight locks.

"You try to heal me and I won't hesitate to break your hand." He muttered and I let out a deep exhale when his gaze moved away from mine as he turned to face his back to me.

One moment I was gazing at his navy blue tank top then his hands were swiftly pulling the hem of his shirt up and I gazed at his wide broad back. He held his shirt in place with a hand as I surveryed his back, trying my hardest not to blush at the sight that was foreign to my eyes. There were around a dozen lashes on his back, each overlapping the last and I grimaced slightly as I imagined how they must have looked when they were bloody and fresh. As of now, they were scars, lining his back and serving as a reminder of his sorrowful childhood. I felt the urge then to heal him and erase the memories away.