I

"King T'Chaka, the girl is alone."

"We do not bring outsiders into Wakanda."

"My King, what if she learns to join our nation? There is no one here for her anymore."

"...So be it."

***

Ava laughed as the young children danced around her, her lips spreading like eagle wings into a grin. Their dark skin was sparkling with beads of sweat, paint of yellow and white cracking and creasing on their foreheads and cheeks.

She was different from them. She always knew that. She was the pale walker. The kids often called her "Pale Mother". Ava never minded; she had grown accustomed to the people of Wakanda, as they had grown accustomed to her. She was, in a way, one of them.

The kids grabbed her hands, tugging her this way and that, through the tall, golden blades of grass. The sunlight shone down on them as afternoon grew high. "Calm, children. Let the Pale Mother be free." A familar voice called from someplace behind them, a laugh held within it's tone.

"Princess Shuri." Ava smiled, turning to her long-time friend with a slight bow. Shuri was only a teenager yet, and Ava was late into her twenties already, but they were inseparable.

Shuri rolled her eyes and strutted closer to Ava with a light-hearted giggle. "Shut up." She shook her head as the three little children took off to find their mothers. "I came to tell you father is leaving in the morning, and he plans to take T'Challa with him. It is time to expose just the slightest amount of our country to the world. It was some of our own- some Wardogs, that were killed in that explosion a few days ago in Lagos."

"I remember." The blonde woman nodded just slightly. "And won't forget."

"Yes, well, they are meeting with the United Nations panel. We are to say our farewells tonight in a dinner celebration." Shuri said, a glimmer of excitement in her eyes. 

Ava pressed a thin smile to her lips. "I suspect you've already got me a new dress made, seeing that look in your eyes." She said, arching her brow as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"Oh come on! You have to admit that I create some pretty awesome ideas." Shuri said, pointing her finger at Ava's chest.

Ava put her hands up in defense. "I didn't say that you had bad ideas." She smiled and dropped her hands. "Alright, show me the dress so I can reject it for being ridiculous looking on me, once again."

Shuri shook her head. "You must embrace your beauty, Pale Mother." She tsk'd and smirked, beginning the walk to the palace.

"Why? I am the only white person here. The only Wakandan civilian not born here. I am not the face of beauty in this country." Ava shook her head with a laugh. "I've been well aware of that since the day I came here, and I have gladly accepted so. You, Okoye, and Nakia  are the most beautiful women here."

"As are you, my friend." Shuri rolled her eyes and sighed. "You will come to see. Besides, Bomani seems to like you."

"Bomani and I ended a long time ago." Ava said with a humorless laugh.

Shuri chuckled again. "I know, and probably for the best. His head is thicker than rhino skin."

"Believe me, I know."

***

"I look ridiculous." Ava complained, her arms straight-stiff at her sides and fists clenched. Her shoulders drooped and a pout was on her face as she stared at herself in the mirror.