VIII

Four of the five Wakandan tribes were in attendance, all except the Jabari tribe. That wasn't a surprise, however, as the Jabari tribe had always been separate from the rest of Wakanda by their own decision. The elders and their heirs from the other tribes all stood along the cliffside in front of the pool of water, cascading down in a waterfall into the river below. Zuri stood in the middle of the pool as drummers drummed an upbeat, excited rhythm from their standing place among the rocks behind the Dora Milaje, the royal guards. In front of the Dora stood Ava, Shuri, and Queen Ramonda. 

The small, black jet landed at the edge of the pool and opened up it's airlock. T'Challa stepped out into the sunlight, walking into the shallow water of the pool beside Zuri. He had simple, brown pants and no shirt, gray leopard printed designs painted his chest, shoulders, and back, and he held a sword and shield in his hands. 

"I, Zuri, son of Badu, present to you Prince T'Challa, The Black Panther!" Zuri projected over the drums, and they fell silent as everyone cheered. "The prince will now have the strength of the black panther stripped from his body." Zuri said, bringing a small cup of purple liquid to T'Challa's lips as he knelt beside Zuri. "Praise the ancestors." Zuri said as T'Challa closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as his heightened abilities left him. "Praise the ancestors." He said again, looking out across the numerous Wakandans in attendance. "Victory in ritual combat comes by yield or death. If any tribe wishes to put forth a warrior, I now offer a path to the throne." 

The first of the four tribes' heir's gave a chant, repeated by their tribe members. "The Merchant Tribe will not challenge today." The elder spoke clearly.

Another loud shout from the second tribe sounded, followed by the tribespeople. "The Border Tribe will not challenge today."

A third chant. "The River Tribe will not challenge today."

As tradition continued, the fourth tribe shouted. "The Mining Tribe will not challenge today."

Zuri nodded, a small smile gracing his lips as he gazed across the people of Wakanda. "Is there any member of a Royal Blood who wishes to challenge for the throne?"

Silence swept over them as they glanced around to see if anybody would, and gasps erupted from their mouths in shock as Shuri slowly raised her hand, staring at her brother. "This corset is really uncomfortable, so could we all just wrap this up and go home?"

Ava sighed in relief and sent a glare at Shuri as everyone mumbled their relieves amongst each other, and the Queen scowled at her daughter. Suddenly, silence once again consumed them as a distant chanting grew closer. A deep, growling, whooping chant, like barking. Like Gorillas. Ava's eyes doubled in size, her flushed face paling as all turned their heads to see into the entrance tunnel to the pool. "Is it the Jabari?" Shuri whispered.

"Yes." The Queen muttered, hiding her fear in her features as a long line of massive, shirtless men marched into the pool, the largest of them leading the chant and wearing a gorilla mask. He walked right up to T'Challa and stared down at him as he took off his mask. 

T'Challa  looked up at him, pressing his lips together. "M'Baku, what are you doing here?"

M'Baku smirked. "It is challenge day." He said before turning to the crowd, pointing at them all. "We have watched and listened from the mountains! We have watched I disgust as your technological advancements have been overseen by a child!" He yelled angrily, glaring at Shuri. "Who scoffs at tradition! And watched as your kingdom raised this colonizer as one of its own!" He continued, fixing his fiery glare on Ava. 

Ava stepped back slightly, nervously swallowing, but didn't look away. She kept her eyes locked with his, determined to hide the fear flowing through her veins. "And now you want to hand the Nation to this prince, who could not keep his own father safe." M'Baku continued his rant. "Mmm? We will not have it... I said, we will not have it, oh!" He chanted before turning to T'Challa again. "I, M'Baku, leader of the Jabari-"