XXIV

The metal door clanged as it shut, locking Bomani in a Wakandan prison cell. Bucky watched as the guard shut the door, and kept his arm tight around Ava's waist.

A bandage was taped on her forehead where her wound was, and the blood had been cleaned from her face. T'Challa let out a small sigh, turning to face the couple with Okoye standing close behind him.

"Thank you, White Wolf." The king spoke, looking at Bucky. "If it were not for your instincts, and courage, we do not know what would have happened to our Pale Mother."

Bucky looked down at Ava, who was pressed against his side. "I'm just glad she's safe." He said, looking back up at T'Challa.

"As are we." The king smiled kindly. "To thank you for your efforts, I am having my people supply you with half a dozen goats, two cows, and all the supplies you should need to farm independently."

Bucky's eyes widened slightly at that, taking in a breath. "You- you don't have to do that, really." He protested.

T'Challa raised his hand, silencing Bucky. "By farming, you'll be able to make an income by selling the products the work brings you, and it will give you purpose as a working citizen of Wakanda."

"Citizen?" Barnes' brows pulled together.

"Yes. You are granted citizenship here, now. Ava is a sister to me and you saved her life, you showed your courage, and did something to help. In Wakanda, we give high respects to that. But, it comes with one condition."

He frowned, glancing at Ava before meeting eyes with T'Challa again. "What is it?"

T'Challa clasped his hands behind his back, looking back and forth between Bucky and Ava. "Should our nation be threatened, especially now that the world knows of our weapons and technology, I will be able to call upon you to aid us in war. You will help command our armies."

Shaky, his breath came out from between his lips. He was tired of fighting. So, so tired of fighting. He'd killed too many people before. He had fought in too many wars. Opening his mouth to object, he felt Ava's hand lightly press against his chest and he looked down at her. Meeting her gaze, he could see she was waiting to hear his answer. Citizenship meant he could stay. He could stay with her. This beautiful, incredible, strong woman. He'd so quickly fallen in love with her, and he would do just about anything to keep her in his grasp. "Deal." Bucky Barnes hummed, looking to the King once more. "It's a deal."

T'Challa smiled, clasping a hand on Bucky's shoulder. "Welcome to Wakanda, James Barnes." He said warmly. He let his hand fall from Bucky's shoulder as he turned and left down the hall, Okoye following like a loyal cub.

"You didn't have to agree to the deal, Bucky. I know you don't want to fight anymore." Ava's voice came out like silk.

Bucky looked down at her, shaking his head a little. Without words, they both knew that he had to take the deal and why. He pressed a kiss to her forehead before he unwrapped his arm from her waist and grabbed her hand, walking toward home. "So I guess I'm a farmer now in my retirement years."

"I forget that you're so much older sometimes." Ava muttered as she walked with him. "I mean, I know mentally and physically you aren't much older than me, but... You know what I mean." Her cheeks flushed red and she cringed at herself.

"You mean that it's weird that I was born in 1917 and fought in World War II." He chuckled. "You're in a relationship with a hundred year old man." A smirk played on his lips.

Ava pressed her lips together tightly. "That's not exactly what I was going for, but yeah, sort of."

He chuckled again, shaking his head as they walked together. "It's okay. I understand." He said. It was odd to think about, even for him. Most everyone from his generation was dead or dying. By the time they reached his hut, there was already a corral with goats roaming inside of it, and two stalls with brown cows inside. Bails of hay were stacked beside a water basin beside the gate into the corral. "Holy cow." Bucky muttered, looking across at it all.