XX

Bucky's hand was clasped around Ava's as they walked silently through the bright, green grass, kept shortly trimmed between all of the gray headstones. The older gravestones were stained and cracking, eroding from years of rain, the newer graves were crisp and clean marble, dazzling white in the early morning sun. A soft breeze blew Bucky's hair across his face, Ava's ponytail shifted around behind her head. "They were buried next to you father. He died in the first World War, right?" She spoke as they stood before the graves. Lucille, Katherine, Winifred, and George. His sisters, mother, and father.

"Yeah, he did." Bucky nodded as he stared down at the different headstones, side by side. He slowly untangled his fingers from Ava's, lowering himself to kneel in front of the graves and reaching out to touch each one, almost as if he needed to feel them to make sure that they were real. "Do you know how they... how they passed?" His voice rolled off his lips in a crackling whisper.

Ava bit her lip, gently resting her hand on his shoulder to comfort him, reassure him that she would support him. "Lucille lived to be eighty-eight years old. She passed away three years ago to stage four liver cancer." She said softly, squeezing his shoulder. "Katherine... She passed away young, back in 1957 from polio. Your mother died two years later from a broken heart." Her voice wavered. "She had lost two of her children and her husband. I... I am so sorry, Bucky."

He was still. He was silent. Bucky just stared at the graves, thinking and mourning. After a while of silence, his voice rumbled out quietly. "Can you give me a moment alone with them?" 

She nodded her head firmly, her chest aching to know he was hurting from this. "Of course." She said, stepping back from him. She wrapped her arms around her body, trekking to a tree near the entrance of the cemetery, where she could still see him in the distance.

Bucky laid his hand on Katherine's grave, the rough stone rubbing against his fingers. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to make you a little more comfortable towards the end... I'm so sorry, Katie-Girl. But I know you fought it the best you could. You were always a fighter." He smiled in sorrow. He turned his attention to Lucille's grave, touching the engraved letters of her name. "Little Lucy." He said, smiling again. "You took good care of them, I know it. You helped Katie when I couldn't, and gave Ma all your love possible. You did so good, and I am so proud of you, Lucy." Bucky then put his hand on top of his mother's grave, sighing softly. "Ma, I came home, just like I promised. I know it wasn't when I should have, but I'm here now to tell you that I love you... And that I met a nice girl, just like you wanted me to. Not some random date for the evening, but someone special. Ma, I think she's the one. I mean, we just met recently, but holy-cow,Ma. You would love her. Her name is Ava King. She's helping me. She brought me here to see you." He smiled, tears forming in his eyes. "I'm glad you're with Pop, now." He looked to his dad's grave. "I hope I made you proud, Pop. I'm trying my best to do what you taught me. Treat your women like angels, and be a strong soldier with a good heart."

He sat back on his heels with a sigh, glancing across the graves one more time. "I have to go, now. I'll see you all again someday." He smiled, wiping small tears away from his cheeks before he stood. Taking a deep breath, he turned and made his way back over to Ava who was waiting beneath a large tree, sunlight beaming through gaps in the leaves.

Ava smiled at him, seeing him smile at her. "Ready to go?"

Bucky nodded. "Yeah. But, I have an idea. I want to see if it's still there, it won't take too long." He said, gently grabbing her hand.

"And what is it?" Her brow arched curiously.

A smile broke onto his lips and he shook his head. "Come on." He laughed, pulling her along by the hand. Ava smiled slightly, obligingly following along. They walked together like that for roughly fifteen minutes, Bucky pointing out small alleys that he remembered. Though the buildings looked different, they were still in the same spots. He would make comments like, "I found Steve getting beat up in that alley," or, "That's where I punched a guy that was harassing a lady," and, "I caught Steve feeding a cat back behind a dumpster in there once." Ava always smiled, or laughed a little at each of the memories he pointed out. All the way until they came to a diner. "Holy sh*t... It's still here!" He grinned, looking up at the quaint, old fashioned building. It was painted bright red, with large black letters on the front spelling out "Aunt Jojo's Burgers and Shakes".