XVIII

Weeks of planning. Weeks of keeping her secret from everyone. And, oh, God, what a secret it was. But keeping it from Bucky was the hardest part. Their relationship had been developing. They had been on a total of four dates by then, and they had kissed another two times since the first time. But it was not official between them. They both wanted to make it official, but they both were too nervous to actually ask it to be. Bucky hadn't had an actual girlfriend in over 70 years and Ava had only ever been together with Bomani, and that relationship was not a healthy one.

She had told him so many things about herself and her childhood, of the culture of Wakanda and stories of Zuri. She had told him about the cuisine, religion, and songs. She attempted to get him to learn some of the language but he had a terrible accent, and they both decided he already knew enough languages as it was. They played with the village children almost every day, and the kids grew very fond of him, often only referring to him as White Wolf and putting braids in his long hair. But this... This massive lie she had to tell, this thing she could not tell him about. It was eating away at her.

Until now. Everything was in order. Everything was ready. Now she just had some convincing to do. She was finally almost ready to tell him. 

Ava walked down toward Bucky's hut early in the morning, the sun was just beginning to rise in the distance. Orange and yellow streaked across the sky from the horizon, the warm air was still. As she approached, a group of young kids came running out of Bucky's hut, their dark skin painted with clay and mud. The three boys ran, giggling and shouting "White Wolf". Ava smiled as they trotted up to her. "Are you messing with that man again?" She chuckled, peering down at them skeptically as they all said no. "Go on and play, let him rest." She said, smiling as Bucky stepped out from his hut, looking around as if he had just awaken. His hair was half down, the upper half pulled back into a soft bun. He wore Wakandan robes, red and blue, that hung off of his shoulders.

His eyes fell on Ava, a small smile forming on his lips as he looked at her standing there with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. Step by step he made his way over to her. "Good morning." He said, delighted.

"Sleep well?" She asked softly, looking up at his face, squinting slightly from the sunrise behind him, which made him look even more godly. Bucky nodded, smiling a little more. "Good. I have a surprise for you. Come on." Ava said, dropping her arms.

Bucky arched a brow, following as she turned and walked in the direction of the palace. "What surprise?" He asked. 

"You'll see. Just come." She said, glancing at him over her shoulder. 

Ava's heart raced, her hands trembling ever so slightly as they reached the lab where Shuri was waiting. The only person whom Ava had told everything to. Told the truth to. As soon as they entered, Shuri looked up at them wide eyed. "Does he know?" She asked, seeming panicked.

The blonde glanced over at Bucky before looking at Shuri again.  "No. Not yet." She said. "Did you tell anyone?"

Shuri scoffed in offense. "Of course not, do I look stupid to you?" She snapped, rounding the counter with various documents in her hand. "Not even T'Challa knows."

Bucky's brows pulled together as he looked between the two of them. "What? What's going on?" His lips pressed into a frown.

The two girls ignored him, Shuri passing the documents to Ava. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I have to, Shuri. It's only right."

"Wait, will someone tell me what is going on?" Bucky asked, his voice raising slightly with frustration. The two females were speaking so quickly, almost seeming frantic, which he had never seen either of them do before.