XVII

Sounds of laughter rang through the early morning air. Bucky began to wake, blinking open his eyes from his bed inside of his hut. He let out a small yawn, sitting up as he listened to laughter and singing coming from outside.

Ava laughed, smiling as she lead a few local children in a song, dancing through the golden, dry grass near the pond. The kids trotted around her, singing loudly and laughing as Ava twirled around with them. "Pale Mother!" They called her between lyrics, their bare feet tapping over the dirt and their arms waving around their bodies. It was not until they were done with their song until she had noticed Bucky standing in the doorway of his hut, smiling a little as he watched them. Her eyes lit up, and they children glanced up at her before looking over to where she was staring, noticing Bucky for themselves. "Pale Mother, who is that man?" The tallest of the four children asked. 

She looked down at him, smiling. "He is new here. He is called the White Wolf."

"His skin is like yours." The same child said, looking up at her.

Ava nodded. "And I am one of the people here. He is here now too. Come, let's meet him." She spoke, gesturing for them to follow her. Bucky smiled as she approached with the four young children, sweat beaded on their dark skin. She stood beside Bucky, looking up at him fondly before looking back down at the kids. "You four must practice your English speaking, and the White Wolf does not speak our language. Introduce yourselves using the English you know so he may understand you." She instructed.

Bucky smirked slightly, studying her as she spoke to the children in their native tongue, which he did not understand. He only knew English, Russian, German, and Romanian.

The kids looked up at Bucky with a smile. "I am Baako. Pale Mother says you are White Wolf." The tallest spoke, being the bravest of the group of boys.

"Pale Mother?" Bucky glanced at Ava.

She nodded. "I tend to the children fairly often. They gave me that name years ago."

The other three children stared at him curiously, their eyes wide in wonder. "This is my little brother, Bosedi. He is shy." The same boy spoke, then pointed to the youngest two children. "Our friends are Chikelu and Zuberi."

"It's nice to meet you." Bucky said, looking down at them. "What song were you singing?"

"A traditional song called Ndandihleli." The boy said.

"I liked it." Bucky smiled. "Maybe you guys can teach it to me some time."

A small alert sound came from the kimoyo beads sitting around Ava's wrist and she glanced down at them, holding up her wrist as a hologram projected up from it. Shuri looked at Ava from the hologram, looking serious. "I need you in the lab immediately."

Ava frowned a little, nodding. "I'll be there soon." She said before the hologram shut off. Dropping her arm, she looked at the children with a kind smile. "Go on, now. Go play." She ushered with her hands. The kids waved goodbye, trotting off across the field into the distance to play. Ava watched, her arms folded over her chest. 

"You're good with them." Bucky said, shifting his eyes over to her. 

She glanced at him, pressing her lips into a shy smile. "They are good kids." She nodded. Ava turned to face him, her eyes soft. "I should probably, uh... go see what Shuri needs." She said, but before he could reply she added, "You are welcome to come with me, if you want to."

"Are you sure?" He asked. "I-I don't want to be a bother."

Her smile only widened. "Come on." She said, tilting her head before uncrossing her arms and turning, starting the trek to the palace. Bucky followed, quickening his pace to catch up and walk beside her as they neared the village. Passing through the streets, many Wakandans stared and quietly muttered to each other, whispering curiosities about the White Wolf. Bucky, of course, took notice and kept his head down a little, swallowing nervously with all of the unwanted attention.