XVI

"Your vitals match exactly what they were before you went into the chamber." Shuri said as she stared at the monitor beside Bucky. He was sat on the same hospital bed as before, nodding as she spoke. He was trying not to stare at Ava. He knew she was upset with herself and that he had been told everything about her mistakes, but he wanted to tell her that it was okay. He didn't view her any different from what he had before. 

They weren't in a relationship so he had no reason to be upset or jealous that she slept with Bomani, especially since she was drunk and hardly consenting. He could never blame her for killing that man either. God, he only knew he had killed dozens of people in much more brutal ways. She wasn't a murderer. She was protecting him. He owed her his life. Bucky admired Ava for holding so strong through everything that had happened to her in such a short period of time. 

"I'm assuming that is good news?" He asked. 

"Very." Ava replied simply. She paused looking at him, still afraid of what he thought of her now. "Sergeant Barnes, we, uh, want to take measurements of your right arm so we can replicate a high-functioning, bionic left arm. It will be detachable if you don't want to use it, but it will have feeling receptors, pressure signals, temperature detection, and full range of movement. An improvement of the arm given to you before, with an all new design and color scheme."

Bucky looked up at her, his brow furrowing. "No, I- I don't want it... I've hurt to many people with an arm like that." He shook his head quickly. 

"You don't have to use it. But it may come useful someday. It's just a precaution." Ava said, offering a soft smile. She held up the measuring tape in her right hand, holding out her left to him. Bucky looked down at her extended hand, contemplating and sighing. Hesitantly, he placed his right hand into her much smaller left hand. His blue eyes looked up to reach her own baby-blues and he gave a small, trusting nod. Ava held his gaze, understanding the depth that his trust in her meant. Relief came over her, and she knew that his opinion of her had not changed. A blush rose in her cheeks and she smiled, gently starting to take measurements of his arm and relaying them to Shuri so the teen could record them.

Bucky watched her, trying to hide the goosebumps that rose on his skin as her thin fingers grazed against his forearm and bicep with each small measurement she made. After a few minutes, she had finished and met his gaze again. A slight smirk appeared on his face and he opened his mouth to speak. "So, maybe later w-"

"Buck?" A familiar voice called, footsteps rushing into the lab. Bucky's eyes widened as he turned to see Steve almost running in, his eyes wide and an excited grin on his face. "Buck, you're awake." He chuckled a little, reaching forward for a hug. 

Bucky smiled at his best friend, looking up at Steve before he hugged him happily. "Yeah, I'm awake." He chuckled. "You've got some stubble growing, pal."

Steve pulled away, rubbing a hand down his face. "It's been a little difficult being on the run."

Bucky smirked a little, nodding as he glanced at Ava who stood quietly beside Shuri, watching the two men converse. "Well, this place is safe, so you don't have to worry about me." He said, looking up at Steve. 

"I know, thank God." Steve sighed in relief. "If you weren't I don't know what I would do. I can only stay for a few hours, I have to try to find someplace to hide the others. I broke them out of the raft prison."

Bucky scoffed, shaking his head. "Of course you did." He smiled. "You're Captain America... And Cap's best friend could use some lunch."

Ava looked at Bucky, biting her lip. "You two can go on and spend some time together." She nodded. "We are all done in here. Just, uh, let T'Challa know before you're off again."