XXVII

"T'Challa, you have to let us go back to New York." Ava pleaded with him, her brows creasing together as she followed him through the palace halls to the throne room. 

"The risk is too great, Ava, I can't let you." He sighed sorrowfully. "Believe me, I want to help you, but the government is still searching for Sergeant Barnes."

She huffed as he turned and sat down in his throne. Ava crossed her arms, peering at him fiercly. "You opened Wakanda to the rest of the world. It makes it much easier for them to find him here because of that. We will be disguised, I won't let him be caught."

"We cannot guarantee his safety if he leaves our borders." T'Challa shook his head.

Ava felt her lips press tightly together, searching her brain for a way to convince T'Challa to let them go. There had to be a way to get there without the U.S. Government coming after them. She had managed to do it before, to visit Bucky's sister behind T'Challa's back, but perhaps they had just been lucky. 

There had to be a way. Somebody out there had to have the power to protect them, someone that could keep them out of the sight of world powers. Someone like- "Ross." Ava said out loud, her eyes widening. "Everett Ross."

T'Challa eyed her curiously, waiting for her to elaborate on what she meant by mentioning him. Her arms uncrossed as she stepped closer, her brows jumping up as she began to explain. "Everett Ross is our friend in the CIA. He could help us keep Bucky hidden-"

"Everett Ross was the man in charge of keeping Barnes locked up after the UN bombing." T'Challa interrupted. "He will not help, he will only lock up Barnes as fast as he possibly could."

Ava shook her head, her heart racing in her chest like she had just run a mile. "He locked up Bucky for thinking he bombed the UN, but it wasn't Bucky. If we invited Ross over here to meet Bucky, to see that he isn't a danger anymore- especially now that the Hydra programming isn't in his head anymore- Ross might just help us. Please, T'Challa. This is about Bucky's sister. We both have lost our fathers and got to be at their funerals. Let Bucky be there for his sister." She pleaded, her hands weaving together anxiously. 

T'Challa glanced at her hands, then back up to her face. "And you are willing to risk him being jailed if we bring Ross back to our country?"

She felt her chest tighten at the thought. He was right. Ross very well could ignore the fact that Bucky wasn't dangerous and he could arrest him right then and there, or he could go and tell his bosses and his coworkers where to find him so they could come and arrest Bucky. "We would protect him." She said, taking a deep breath to try to relieve the crushing sensation in her ribs. "I would protect him. No matter the cost."

The king raised his chin, analyzing her. Her desperation to help the man she loved. He imagined if it had been Nakia that lost someone. What was he willing to do to help her? After a minute of pause, he finished weighing his options and his expression softened. "Okoye will make the call this afternoon. The Dora Milaje will stay with you and Barnes at your home upon his arrival. I will greet him with Shuri, Nakia, and my mother, and prepare him to meet our guest. The, we will escort him to you and Barnes at your home for a monitored greeting." He said slowly, causing a ghost of a smile to form on Ava's lips. "Should the American try to remove the White Wolf from our borders, you will be the only one to stop him. Is that understood?"

Ava dipped her head, her tongue pressing to the roof of her mouth. She only hoped it would not come to that. "I will tell Bucky. When should we expect the arrival?"

"Tomorrow afternoon. If he cannot come then, there will be no meeting. We cannot risk anything more, and after tomorrow it will be too late for a meeting before the funeral."