Chapter 3

The phone rang, but Kayla ignored it, busy weeding the garden patch in her front-yard. Her mother was in the house; she would get the phone.

            "Kayla, you've got a phone call!" Mrs. Hutchins yelled through the house. Kayla got up hastily, knocking over a pot that she had just filled with sand.

            "Oh, how bothersome," she said, but she left it as it is and ran into the house, "Who is it, mom?"

            "I don't know," Mrs. Hutchins said, passing the phone to her.

            "Hello," she answered nervously.

            "Hi there, Ms. Hutchins," a jolly sounding male spoke into the receiver, "I'm calling from Wyatt Agency, on behalf of Mr. Wyatt. We are delighted to inform you that you have been chosen out of countless other applicants to work for Mr. Wyatt. If you accept, you will be reporting to duty on Monday, which is two days from now, as the Personal Assistant to Mr. Wyatt."

            "I..." Kayla started, but the man cut in,

            "Work starts at eight in the morning, but you should be here at least fifteen minutes earlier, as Mr. Wyatt doesn't like anyone to be tardy. Any questions?" he concluded in one breath.

            "Yes," Kayla said, "What should I wear?"

            "Anything businesslike, as we're conducting business here," he said, "If that's all, I'll see you on Monday."

            "Thank you," Kayla said, but he had already hung up the phone. She stared at the receiver in surprise, "Weird."

            "What was that about?" Mrs. Hutchins said, standing beside her expectantly. She never left her side, as she stood beside Kayla, holding a greasy spatula.

            "I think I got a job," Kayla said unsurely. The man was talking very fast. I wonder do they all do that there.

            "Really?? That's great news!" Mrs. Hutchins screeched as she ran to the living room to tell her father the good news. Kayla tagged along behind her mother in a daze. She was only vaguely aware of her mother telling her father, and her father hugged her proudly. Before she knew it, she was in her father's car, driving to the mall to get new clothes.

            "Everything is on me!" Mr. Hutchins said proudly, "Just choose and I will pay."

            "Can I choose something too?" her younger sister, Kylie asked, looking hopefully at her father.

            "Oh well," Mr. Hutchins said, looking at his youngest daughter, "I guess it doesn't hurt if you get one outfit. I am, after all in a good mood."

            "Yay, thanks dad!" Kylie said, hugging him. Kayla walked into a boutique, not really sure what to get.

            "How does this look?" Mrs. Hutchins asked, holding up a short business skirt.

            "Mom, I don't want to wear a skirt," Kayla protested, "Can't you get me a pants or something?"

            "How are you going to attract a guy wearing pants, dear?" her mother asked her as she stared at her mother dumbfounded.

            "What?" she asked, "I'm not trying to attract any guys!"

            "I'm just saying," Mrs. Hutchins said guiltily, looking through a pile of long pants for Kayla. She took a few pants for Kayla to try on, as Kayla finally settled on three almost similar colored ones. They also bought a few blouses and a couple of blazers. Kylie bought a mini dress, with tights as Mrs. Hutchins glared at the outfit she chose.