Chapter 23

Two weeks since the day Nicky confessed his feelings to her, Kayla never got the chance to meet up with him. She was either too busy with her work, or he was too busy with his. She never got the proper chance to tell him that she just wanted to be friends with him.

            Jesse was treating her like a stranger, just as she asked. She thought she would feel better about it, but it actually made her feel worse. Maybe this was the way it was supposed to be. That weekend she went back home to see her parents, and Nicky called her.

            “Where are you?” he asked her, as she went to her room to answer the call.

            “I’m at my parents’ house,” Kayla answered.

            “Why didn’t you tell me?” Nicky demanded.

            “It was a last minute decision,” Kayla replied feeling frustrated. Why did he question her in that way?

            “Why couldn’t you tell me?” Nicky asked her.

            “I didn’t think it was important,” she said.

            “That means you don’t think that I’m important do you?” Nicky said, his voice sounding hurt.

            “No, Nicky,” Kayla said, as she saw something sticking out from the drawer in her study table, “I didn’t mean it that way. I meant that I thought that it wasn’t important of me to inform anyone I was going home.”

            “Well you should inform me,” Nicky said, “Have you eaten?”

            “Yes I have,” Kayla replied as she pulled the drawer open.

            “What are you doing now?” He asked her.

            “Just sitting in my room, going through my things,” Kayla replied, as she took out Jesse’s posters when he was younger, “I thought I threw this away?”

            “Huh?” Nicky asked, “What did you say?”

            “Err, nothing,” Kayla said, thinking, who put these in my drawer?

            “Is everything okay?” Nicky asked Kayla as she stared at the poster.

            “Yeah, Nicky I have to go,” Kayla said.

            “Wait, Kayla,” Nicky said before she could hang up, “You still haven’t given me your answer.”

            “Nicky,” Kayla said, as she thought of an answer, “You are my friend. And I hope things can stay that way. I can’t get into any commitment right now.”