Chapter 16

What is he doing with her? Jesse thought to himself as he pulled up in front of the City Park where Nicky was waiting for him with the person he said was his friend. He could have just truthfully told him that he was with Kayla didn’t he?

            Jesse kept silent as he took them to Nicky’s sister’s boutique where Nicky said he wants to get a new dress for Kayla, who was silently looking out the window, seemingly lost in thoughts.

            “Come along, Kayla,” Nicky said as he pulled her by the hand into the boutique as Jesse followed behind. Why is she letting him hold her hand? Jesse thought silently warring with him, is there something going on between them that I don’t know about?

            Nicky held out a knee length dress in front of Kayla as she shied away from it, shaking her head. What’s with saying no when you are already holding his hand? Jesse complained in his head.

            “No, Nicky,” Kayla said, as Jake thought, oh, Nicky, not Mr. Nicky, “I can’t possibly let you spend this on me.”

            “Come on Kay,” Nicky said, “Let this be your birthday present.”

            “But my birthday’s not until September,” Kayla said.

            “Okay,” Nicky said, thinking quick, “Then let it be a belated birthday present, for your birthday last year.”

            Why don’t you buy a present for Valentine’s Day too and get on with it, Jesse thought sarcastically, as he sat down on the leather chair provided.

            “Please don’t say no,” Nicky said, as Kayla started to protest, “Or I’ll cry. You don’t want to see me cry don’t you?”

            “Oh Nicky,” Kayla said as he smiled and pointed at a few dresses for her to try on. Kayla reluctantly tried on a few dresses until Nicky was satisfied with a knee length pink dress, paired with black heels.

            “You look gorgeous darling,” Nicky gushed as Kayla stood in front of him, consciously pulling at the place where she usually had sleeves as this dress was sleeveless, “I think I may be in love.”

            “You praise too much, Nicky,” Kayla said, laughing.

            “Yeah, it’s too much, Nicky,” Jesse said out loud what he was supposed to be thinking, “It’ll go to her head then.”

            Nicky turned and glared at Jesse, while Kayla looked at him with a hurt expression. He hated what he just did, but he couldn’t stand it anymore. He hated to see the way Nicky was flirting with Kayla and the way she seemed to be responding. She never smiled that way at him; all she does is stares and glares. Am I not good-looking enough? Jesse thought to himself.

            “I think we’re done,” Nicky said as he made the payment, “Mr. Grumpy-pants here can’t stand being around an astounding beauty like you.”

            Jesse rolled his eyes as they walked to his car. She’s not an astounding beauty, Jesse thought to himself, Yeah she may look a bit cute, and maybe pretty after made up, but definitely not astounding. No, definitely not.

            Jesse sighed as he realized he may be just trying to convince himself, when in fact he seemed to be knotted in the stomach every time he looks at Kayla. Sure, she’s no beauty like the other actresses he’s been around with, but she had something different from them, and that made her irresistible.