Chapter 9

Two days had passed and Kayla had not even seen Jesse McCartney. It seemed like he was avoiding her, not wanting to look in her face. She felt guilty in questioning him on his personal life, but there was nothing she could do.

            She had tried to text him and said she was sorry and she would never repeat her mistake, but he never replied her text. When she asked Benny, he said that Jesse was busy getting ready for the premiere.

            “Are we going to the premiere too?” Kayla asked Benny on Friday afternoon.

            “Do you want to go?” Benny asked her, “It’s actually for Nicky’s new movie, and it’s something we don’t have to follow Jesse to, but if you want to go, I could get the tickets for you.”

            “Will you be going?” Kayla asked Benny, hoping he would take her along. She didn’t know anyone she could go with.

            “I might be going with someone,” Benny said, “If you want I’ll get two tickets for you to bring someone along, and you can join me and my partner.”

            “Really, you could do that?” Kayla asked, beaming.

            “It’s not a big deal,” Benny said.

            “Let me call my cousin sister and ask her whether she would follow me,” Kayla said as she called Rachel who was ecstatic to go to the premiere. Apparently she was a fan of Nicky Bryan.

            The plan was Benny would fetch them at seven in the evening on Saturday, which was also Kayla’s off day. They were excited and Rachel was finding dresses in her wardrobe to let Kayla wear.

            “You can’t possibly go to a celebrity studded premiere wearing jeans, girl!” Rachel exclaimed, as if that was the vilest thing Kayla could do.

            “But, Rachel,” Kayla protested, “You’re so slim, how am I to fit into your dresses?”

            “We can surely find something for you to wear,” Rachel said, taking dresses of the hanger and putting it against Kayla, and throwing it aside, “If you had told me earlier that you have no dresses, I could have gone shopping for your new dress. Now we only have about a few hours, there’s no time to shop.”

            “It doesn’t matter, Rachel,” Kayla said, “Even a skirt will do.”

            “You can’t wear skirt,” Rachel said, “It’s too casual. Besides, who knows you might catch the eye of a celebrity.”

            “Yeah right,” Kayla snorted sarcastically, “In between the throngs of beautiful actresses and models, you still believe that I could stand out. What world are you living in, Rachel?”

            “I live in reality,” Rachel replied, digging at the bottom of the pile for a blue dress she saw earlier.

            “Rachel, things like that only happens in movies,” Kayla said, as Rachel held up a long chiffon dress, smiling in awe.

            “This is beautiful and I think it goes well with you,” Rachel said, pressing it against Kayla.

            “But it’s small,” Kayla said, holding it up.

            “Just try it on,” Rachel said, “I will wait outside.”

            Rachel went out as Kayla locked the door and tried out the dress. She was surprised that it actually fitted her snugly. Kayla knew she was not as slim as Rachel, but somehow this dress fits her like a second skin. She turned and checked her reflection in the mirror, quite satisfied with the dress.