Chapter 6

Kayla awoke the next morning feeling nervous, and she knows why. She was going to be in the presence of Jesse McCartney the whole day, and the thought of it made her sleep restlessly. She looked at her face in the mirror, and she noticed the eye-bags that no amount of powder can conceal.

            Oh why can’t I be like those beautiful people who never get any eye-bags? She thought to herself. Even if they do get eye-bags, they’d conceal it with foundation. The only types of make-up that Kayla uses are face powder, eyeliner, a little blush and a nude colored lip gloss. She washed her face a few times, and wiped it, and then put on some powder and eyeliner. The eyeliner on the bottom of her eyelids seemed to hide the eye-bags a bit, but it was still obvious.

            “Ah, who cares!” she snapped. It’s not like Jesse McCartney is going to fall for me, she thought to herself, he looked at me like I was a bacteria last night.

            She made a promise to herself to throw away all the posters of him in her room back at home. There were scrap-books of him that needs to be thrown away too, including all the collection of his songs and movies CDs. He was not worth her obsession.

            He barely acknowledged her last night – totally ignoring her presence as if she was way below his level to even talk to. It’s not that she was desperate for his attention, but at least he could show some courtesy didn’t he?

            As Benny and she took the elevator to Victoria’s penthouse, Kayla could feel as if there were worms crawling in her stomach. She was afraid to meet with Jesse. How am I going to be a manager, if I’m being this distressed with Jesse? There’d be other artistes too – am I going to freak out with every one of them?

            “No I’m going to be stronger than this,” she mumbled to herself as they got out of the elevator.

            “Yes?” Benny said, turning to look at her, “Did you say something?”

            “Huh?” Kayla asked, staring at him with wide-eyes, “No, I didn’t say anything.”

            She sighed quietly as Benny turned away. That was close, she thought. She followed behind him, as they got to Victoria’s penthouse. Kayla was awed to see the interior design – it was beautiful and big! The decorations were contemporary but elegant, somewhat fitting to Victoria’s tastes.

            “Benny,” a sweet voice called out from the living room, as both Benny and Kayla headed there. She gaped at Victoria, who looked even more beautiful and doll-like in life, “Where’s my Jesse?”

            “He’s on his way,” Benny said, embracing Victoria, and shaking hand with a small woman standing beside her.

            “And who is this?” Victoria asked, taking a look at Kayla, scrutinizing her from top to toe. Kayla felt somewhat conscious of how she looked like – today she was wearing dark grey slacks with a dark grey blazer over a light pink shirt and black crocs shoes and compared to what Victoria had on, she was like a black-and white movie in comparison to a 3D colored movie. Victoria was wearing a beautiful cheetah print halter neck dress and a beautiful golden straps heels. Her face was flawless, as she smiled at Kayla.