Chapter 7

I was just looking forward a ride without him, and this happens, Kayla thought huffily to herself, as she sat huddled up at the back seat. The night suddenly seemed very cold, and she doesn’t even have a jacket to cover herself.

Jesse sent Benny home first, as his house was nearer from Victoria’s apartment building. He got out talking to Benny, leaving Kayla sitting alone in the car. How come they’re like best friends? She thought to herself. When they were in front of others, Jesse would be yelling his head off at Benny, but when they’re on their own, they could talk for hours.

“’Kay, Muffin,” Benny said, as he opened the front door, while Jesse stood outside, “I’m going. Why don’t you come and sit at the front. I don’t want our Jesse here to be looking like a driver, now would we?”

Kayla quickly got out of the car, and almost tripped in her haste. She stood up straight, looking at Jesse who was looking the other way. She breathed a sigh of relief, as she got in the passenger’s side and sat quietly in there.

“See you tomorrow, Jesse,” Benny said, as he shook hands with Jesse, who was smiling, “Don’t eat the girl – she looks like she’s going to cry anytime.”

“Don’t worry, Benny,” Jesse said, as they waved goodbye. I have no time to eat small girls like her.

He got into the car, wiping off any traces of smile in his face, as he drove towards her apartment. He stole a glance at her and saw her shivering – is it that cold? He thought and turned down his air-conditioning. She must not be used to cold weather – probably never had air-conditioning in her life.

“Err, Mr. McCartney,” Kayla said softly as he looked at her side-ways. What now? He thought to himself, “I’m sorry about today.”

He turned to look at her in puzzlement. She looked at him, her face devoid of fear, but replaced with regret.

“I mean about telling about your schedule to Ms. Grayson,” she explained as he raised his eyebrow at her. He stared at her, I’ve already forgotten about that, he thought, “I didn’t know that you didn’t want to hang out there, and because I said you have no plans, you had to be there.”

“Who said I didn’t want to be there?” he asked her, as he looked straight onto the road in front of him.

“Err,” she stammered, “I thought that…I don’t know.”

“Don’t make your own assumptions, Ms…” he said but faltered. He didn’t know her last name.

“Hutchins,” Kayla provided, “But you can just call me Kayla.”

“Kayla,” he said, enunciating each syllable of her name, “I did not say that I don’t want to be with Ms. Grayson, but I don’t want you to tell her my schedules ever again, get it?”

“Yes sir,” Kayla said, nodding her head.