Chapter 8

As Kayla took a bite into the instant noodles, savoring its deliciousness, her hand phone rang. She took the phone and stared at the unknown number, and she slurped in the noodle hanging from her mouth. Who could it be?

            “Hello?” she said, swallowing the spicy noodle.

            “Hello, Kayla,” she froze as her fork dropped to the floor with a clang. Jesse McCartney!

            “Err, yes,” she said, gulping. Why is he calling me?

            “Come down now!” Jesse commanded.

            “What?” she said, getting off the chair to pick up the fork from the ground; Rachel was out with her fiancée so she was alone at home.

            “Can’t you understand simple English?” Jesse asked, as she played with the noodles, suddenly not feeling hungry.

            “I do,” she replied.

            “So, I don’t need to say twice,” he said.

            “Where are you?” she asked him.

            “In front of your apartment!” he said.

            “Why?” she asked.

            “Stop asking questions and get down now!” he ordered.

            “I’m off duty. Sir,” Kayla said, saying ‘sir’ as an afterthought.

            “If you don’t get down now, I will fire you!” Jesse threatened as Kayla stood up in surprise.

            “What?” she asked.

            “I could fire you for what you did, but I’m giving you a chance,” Jesse said.

            “You can’t do this to me,” she said, hoping she sounded firm.

            “Believe me; I can,” he said, “So are you coming down or not?”

            Within ten minutes, Kayla had changed her clothes, and walked towards Jesse’s car. Is it his motto to torture people? She thought huffily to herself.

            “Can’t he just leave me at peace?” she said to herself, as she opened the door and went in with a sour face. Jesse drove off in silence.

            “Where are we going?” Kayla said, breaking the chilly silence.

            “I need to get some things,” Jesse said, “And it’s hard to get parking at this time, so you’ll get out and get it for me.”

            “What kinds of things?” Kayla asked, looking at him.

            “My stuff,” he said simply.

            “Don’t you have servants for that?” she asked him suspiciously.

            “They’ve all gone home,” he replied.

            “I’ve gone home too!” Kayla said.

            “Yeah, but Benny said it was fine to get you to help me, since you’re an intern at his office,” Jesse said, grinning cruelly, “and if you want to keep this job, you might just learn to respect the person who’s giving your paycheck.”