Chapter 25

“I feel nervous,” Jesse voiced out to Kayla after thirty minutes of silent journey on the bus. She looked at him and raised her eyebrow.

            “Why?” she asked him.

            “What if your parents don’t like me?” he said, self-consciously as Kayla smiled at him affectionately.     

            “I don’t think they’re going to hate you,” Kayla said, as he looked at her unsurely.

            “I’ve never met any girl’s parents before,” he said, “except Mandy’s, but that’s because I know her parents since I was a kid.”

            “Well, let this be your first experience then,” Kayla said.

            “Have you brought Nicky to see your parents before?” Jesse asked as Kayla frowned at him. What does he mean? She wondered.

            “No, of course I haven’t,” she told him, as he nodded his head and looked outside the window. I wonder if she had kissed Nicky before, he couldn’t stop that thought from crossing his mind. He turned to look at Kayla who was staring into space. His eyes traveled to her lips, and he could almost feel it against his; it made his heart flutter. Kayla turned to look at Jesse staring at her, and her heart beat faster, why is he looking at me that way? Is he thinking about the kiss?

            “Oh no, he might think I like him and that is why I kissed him,” She thought to herself, “He might think that I’m doing this because I like him and I can’t let him know that’s the truth; that I’m doing all this because I DO like him.”

            “Err, Jesse,” Kayla said. Benny told her not to call him Mr. McCartney as people might recognize him, “About the incident in the staircase; well, please don’t take it the wrong way. I’m sorry if it looked like I was taking advantage of you, because I wasn’t. It was just something that I thought could help us in that situation.”

            Jesse stared at her. Is that what she thinks that happened? She didn’t even feel a thing? And here I am bursting my brains out thinking about it.

            “What incident?” he asked nonchalantly, hiding his disappointment behind a smile, “Oh you mean the ‘fake’ kiss that we did. Oh, I’ve actually even forgotten about it.”

            “Oh, that’s good,” Kayla said, smiling bitterly, he’s forgotten about it, so why did I have to bring it up? He’s going to think of how inexperienced I was. I bet he’s been kissed a million times.

            “Yeah, it was nothing,” Jesse said, brushing it away, thinking, it was the best thing to happen to me. Even if I have to leave one day, I will remember that kiss forever.

            “It was nothing to me too,” Kayla said, nodding her head, “It’s not my first time anyway.”