Chapter 21

Kayla froze as she saw Jesse at the restaurant glaring at her. His eyes never left her face, not even when his mother got up and talked to him.

            “Jesse, my son!” she said as he tore his gaze away from Kayla and smiled at his mother.

            “Hi, mom,” he said, as he hugged her, “I’m sorry I haven’t come to see you all these while.”

            “Oh honey, it doesn’t matter as long as I get to see your face now,” Mrs. McCartney said, holding his hand. He looked at Amanda and nodded his head at her.

            “Hi Jesse,” she said nervously.

            “Hi Mandy,” he replied, “How’s Ed?”

            “He’s fine,” she answered, “He’s at a business convention.”

            “When are you due?” he asked, gesturing at her stomach.

            “Soon,” she replied as Jesse looked at Kayla.

            “Can I talk to you in private?” he asked her, as she got up nervously and followed him out.

            “What are you doing?” Jesse asked her as they walked into an alley leading to the washroom.

            “I’m having lunch,” Kayla replied.

            “Don’t be smart!” Jesse cut in, “I meant what are you doing meeting up with my mother and Amanda?”

            “I ran into them here,” Kayla said defensively, “I never planned to go out with them.”

            “How did you know them?” Jesse demanded, “Did you find Amanda after I told you about her? What were you trying to prove?”

            “I wasn’t trying to prove anything,” Kayla said, tears flooding her eyes, “I swear I know your mother by coincidence.”

            “Were you somehow finding a way to get me connected to my family?” Jesse asked her, “Did you think I needed your help?”

            “No, Jesse!” Kayla said, “I never meant to do anything.”

            “Stop it, Kayla!” Jesse said, his voice rising higher, “Don’t try to meddle in my affairs. You don’t know a thing about me, so don’t act like you do! Don’t think that you’re doing me good by trying to get close to my family!”

            “I swear I wasn’t…” Kayla cried out, but he cut in,

            “Just stop it, Kayla!” Jesse said, as he turned and left. Kayla leant against the wall sobbing. I wasn’t trying to do anything, she cried to herself. She wiped her eyes, as she saw someone approaching.

            “Ms. Grayson?” she said, as Victoria stood in front of her.

            “Did you think that Jesse would fall for you just because you were close to his mother?” Victoria said, as Kayla blinked at her.

            “Huh?” she said.

            “Jess doesn’t like you, Kayla,” Victoria said meanly, “He hates the sight of you with your ugly face and your dwarfish height and your ugly taste in clothes.”

            “But I’m not dwarfish,” Kayla said.

            “What does it matter?” Victoria spat our leering, “You do not possess the beauty and the height people like me and Jesse have. We are more compatible than you would ever be, even in your dreams.”