Chapter 13

He stood waiting in the park where they’d always meet. He had something important to tell her, something he’d wanted to say for a long time – but only got the courage now. He looked at his wristwatch; she’s already twenty minutes late. He started to feel nervous as she’s never been late in life.

            Where could she be? He thought, taking out his phone to call her. He tried almost five times, but she had turned off her phone. Did something happen to her?

            He sat on the bench dejectedly, taking out the maroon velvet box from his pocket, and opened to see the diamond ring in it. This ring was supposed to be on her finger twenty minutes ago, but now he’s just sitting and staring at it. His phone rang and he saw his brother’s number, so he answered it reluctantly.

            “Hey Jesse,” his brother said into his ears.

            “Yes Edward,” Jesse said his voice down.

            “Listen, there’s something I need to talk to you about,” Edward said, sounding serious, “Can you meet me?”           

            Ten minutes later, Jesse was at Edwards’s house, sitting on the sofa, as Edward mixed him a drink. He stared at Edward who didn’t meet his eyes as he placed the glasses on the table in front of them. Edward looked the total opposite to Jesse; with black hair and dark eyes – with a hint of danger in his eyes. Jesse felt uneasy; he could somehow know what is about to come, but he’d rather not face it.

            “What did you want to talk about, Ed?” He demanded, hiding his anxiety behind his tough voice.

            “Okay, I need you to listen to what I say like a matured adult,” Edward said, as Jesse glared at him, “I don’t want you to be angry.”

            “What is it?” Jesse asked clenching his hand.

            “I’m going to get married to Amanda,” Edward said, as everything inside of Jesse shattered into a million pieces. He stared at Edward, not able to say a word, “I’m sorry to say it to you all of a sudden, but you had to know it.”

            “Why?” Jesse asked, and he could hear his voice sound hollow, betraying his emotions.

            “Because I love her,” Edward said, his expression softening, “She’s been through a lot, and I won’t let her be hurt anymore.”

            “You have no right!” Jesse said, as he felt tears pool his eyes. He could not cry, not in front of his brother, “How could you steal her away from me!”

            Jesse’s voice rang through the house as Edward stared at him silently. He can’t let Amanda go back to Jesse, for she’s hurt enough because of him. He was the one who stood by her all those nights and days that she cried because of Jesse. He had more right to her than Jesse has.

            “I did not steal her away from you,” Edward said quietly, “You left her to pick up the broken pieces of her heart. I came and glued it back for her, and you come back into her life after so many years, expecting her to forgive you. She’s forgiven you, but she doesn’t feel the same for you any more, Jesse. Just give it up!”

            “I CAN”T!” Jesse yelled, as he stood up, glaring at Edward, his nostrils flaring and his eyes red, “DON’T YOU GET IT! I CAN’T LET HER GO!”

            “Bro, would you calm down?” Edward said unperturbed by Jesse’s show of rage.

            “HOW COULD I BE CALM?” Jesse yelled at him.