Chapter 24

Kayla left the hospital after the second day there. Rachel and Benny was there to pick her up, while Jesse and Nicky wasn’t around. She knew Nicky had left, and it made her feel devastated, but she couldn’t hurt him anymore.

            “Where’s Jesse?” she asked Rachel quietly.

            “I don’t know,” Rachel said, as Kayla leaned back on the seat contemplatively. Her memories were vague, but she knew that after her operation, Jesse was talking to her in the ward. When Nicky was with her, he left and she hadn’t seen him since. Where did he go?

            Mrs. McCartney and Amanda made a big fuss over her for a week that she stayed at home from work. They never let her walk or do anything. She called her parents and told them what happened. They wanted to come over but she said that she’s okay. Jesse still hasn’t shown up.

            She went back to work, but Jesse went overseas for a month and she never got to see him. She feels like a stranger with him again. She could take it this time, because she knew that she could live without him. She was stronger now.

            “Muffin,” Benny called to Kayla, disrupting her thought, “Jesse would be coming back today. Why don’t you go to the airport to fetch him?”

            “Okay,” she replied, as she took Benny’s car to the airport, to wait for Jesse. She saw Victoria too, but as she turned to walk the other way, Victoria called out to her.

            “Kayla!” she called out, as Kayla turned reluctantly to face her, “What are you doing here?”

            “I’m here to fetch Mr. McCartney,” Kayla answered nonchalantly.

            “But I was here to fetch him,” Victoria said, “Why don’t you crawl back to your hole and leave me to wait for him here. It would be ugly to see you standing beside him when the photographers take his pictures.”

            “Stop being a jerk, Victoria,” Kayla said, with renewed confidence. She wasn’t going to let this low-self-esteemed woman make fun of her.

            “Stop being ugly, Kayla,” Victoria mimicked her, just as Jesse stood behind her.

            “What are you doing, Victoria?” he asked, as her eyes grew in surprise and turned to face him.

            “Nothing, Jesse dear,” she said, walking towards him, “I am here to fetch you.”

            “I heard what you told Kayla,” he said, glaring at her, “I’m going to talk to Benny about canceling our contract.”

            “You can’t do that,” Victoria gasped.

            “Do you want to watch me do it?” Jesse asked, leering at her.

            “I will bring you down if you do anything like that, Jesse McCartney!” Victoria shouted, “Do you value this ugly girl more than me?”

            “Do not call her that!” Jesse said, almost raising his hand to slap Victoria, as Kayla watched with wide eyes, “You have no right to call her names!”

            He turned to walk away, pulling Kayla with him.

            “Just you wait, Jesse!” Victoria cried out to him.

            “What if she does something to you?” Kayla asked Jesse as he took the wheels of Benny’s car.

            “She wouldn’t dare,” he said, looking at the road in front, “I’m really getting sick of this job. Sometimes I just feel like quitting.”