Chapter 14

The days seemed to be getting by better for Kayla as Jesse has been treating her better. There are days where she won’t see him due to his busy schedule, but when they met they would talk like old buddies – although there were times where he would recede into his broody old self. Nicky was always coming around to find her too, and she enjoyed his company; as he was the brightness to Jesse’s darkness.

            Three weeks since the day she ‘broke’ into Jesse’s house, she went shopping alone at the mall. She needed to get a new toothbrush and some other necessities. She loved to shop alone, as she could waste her time browsing through each aisle with no care in the world. After buying all the things that she needed, Kayla walked out of the mall to take a bus back home. As she was walking towards the bus stop, she saw an elderly woman walking towards the bus stop, carrying a lot of bags, and struggling to walk. One of the plastic bags that she was carrying tore open and her grocery items spilled to the road.

            Kayla gasped and ran towards the woman, as she helped her pick up her things. The old lady muttered ‘thanks’ to her as Kayla piled the things in a heap. She told the woman to wait a while as she ran back inside the mall to buy a recycle bag, and she ran back out to see the woman sitting on the sidewalk, wiping beads of perspiration on her forehead.

            “Here you go, ma’am,” she said as she passed the recycle bag to the woman with all her things in it. The woman carried it, but almost stumbled as Kayla held her, “Do you want me to help you get this?”

            “If you could, dear,” the woman said, “This body is getting old.”

            “It’s no problem,” Kayla replied, smiling, “Do you leave nearby? I can help you carry these things to your house.”

            “Yes dear,” the woman said, “I live about two blocks from here.”

            “Then let me carry your things for you,” Kayla offered as she took the other bags from the woman.

            “Oh, you don’t have to trouble yourself,” the woman said,

            “I am not troubling myself,” Kayla said, “Let’s go, ma’am.”

            They walked slowly towards the woman’s house. Kayla got to know the woman had two sons and a daughter-in-law with a grandchild coming in a few months time. She told her she rarely saw her younger son as he was busy working. Kayla nodded politely as the woman, who told her to call her Auntie, spoke. Her husband had his own supermarket, but she hated to buy things there, as her favorite brands are only sold in this mall.

            “There we are,” she pointed at a comfy looking house, “That’s my house.”

            “I’ll help you carry this to the doorstep,” Kayla said, following the Auntie. The house was quite big, but not a mansion, but it looked like a nice family home. It was the kind of house Kayla would love to live in her older years.