Chapter 11

Kayla took the early morning bus back home on Sunday as it was her rest day from work. Her parents were overjoyed to see her, and they made a big fuss over her. Her mother made her favorite blueberry jam pancake, while her father bought a new comforter set for her to take back to the city.

            “Eat up, Kayla,” Mrs. Hutchins said, “You’re not getting proper food there.”

            “Thanks mom,” Kayla said with her mouth full. She had missed it being home here. Her sister Kylie was sitting right beside, watching her eat.

            “So how’s work?” Mrs. Hutchins asked Kayla as she swallowed the pancake.

            “So-so,” Kayla said, playing with the pancake, her appetite gone all of a sudden, “It’s kind of tiring.”

            “Well, its normal when you start the job,” Mrs. Hutchins said, “Once you get used to the routine, you won’t be so tired.”

            “So, Kay,” Kylie asked, “Do you really get to see many celebrities?”

            “Yeah,” Kayla said, nodding her head, “I saw Justine Baby yesterday at a movie premiere.”

            “Wow, I wish I was there with you!” Kylie exclaimed, being an ardent fan of Justine Baby, “You’re so lucky.”

            “Well, it’s my job, so I don’t feel too lucky, though,” Kayla said. She never told her family that she was working with Jesse McCartney’s manager; instead she told them that she works for various different celebrities. She knew her mother would make it an issue if she knew Kayla was working with Jesse. She’s not even sure if she’d be welcomed at work tomorrow.

            “Your father said he’ll send you back this evening,” Mrs. Hutchins said, washing the dishes, “Why don’t you get some rest first.”

            Kayla nodded her head as she headed to her bedroom on the top floor. She stopped short at the doorway, her eyes looking at all the Jesse McCartney posters covering almost all her wall. She closed the door, locked it and started tearing out all the posters, crumpling it into the waste paper basket. She went off to sleep out of tiredness.

            In the evening, her parents sent her back to the city. Rachel who was at home asked them to stay the night, but Mr. Hutchins needed to get back home because he had work the next day. Kayla bid her parents farewell with tears, and watched as their car drove out of her sight.

            Since the night was still young, Kayla decided to take a walk to the City Park not far away from the apartment. It was beautiful at night, with bright lights and people hanging around. She sat on a bench and watched as couples strolled pass her hand-in-hand. There were kids running around with their parents following behind in case they got lost. Kayla smiled slightly as one of the kid tripped and fell sprawling over a girl who was lying on the ground with her boyfriend. The girl got up quickly and stared at the kid, who started to cry, so she tried comforting the kid as the parents came and apologized to the young girl.

            Kayla hugged herself, as she felt the cold wind blow. Her mind started drifting off to Jesse McCartney. She wondered what was he doing now, and whether he felt any guilt about talking about her that way. He’s probably out somewhere having fun – who is he to care about others? She sighed lightly in disappointment.

            “A penny for your thoughts?” Kayla turned to look at a huge man standing and grinning at her. She narrowed her eyes at him, as he took a step near her.