Chapter 4

Kayla followed Benny as they took his shiny grey Mercedes to the Eagle Studios. There was a meeting that they had to attend concerning the artiste that is managed by Benny.

            They entered the wide conference room where about twenty or so people were already gathered. Benny took the seat near the front, while Kayla sat quietly beside him, holding a notebook to take down notes. Words that Benny had said swam through her head.

            "I need you for all the paperwork's and minor details," he had said, while they drove through the city, "I am an old man, so certain things may slip my mind, but with you around, you can pick up the fallen pieces."

            "Yes, Sir," she said, still not being able to just call him Benny as requested.

            "Don't worry; I will guide you through," he said, as she sounded nervous, "Who knows one day you will open your own agency. I won't be surprised to see Hutchins Agency up on a billboard one day."

            "I hope so, sir," she replied.

            "Just don't let the behaviors of these celebrities put out your candle," he said, "There are some nice ones, but if you get stuck with the rotten one, don't let that get to you."

            "Where is he?" someone from the table asked, bringing Kayla back to the present.

            "Late, as always," someone else said. Just then the huge oak door opened and for Kayla, the whole world seemed to come to a stop. It was like in a distant dream, when he walked in the door, the light shining off his golden highlights in his brown hair, his beautiful but elusive eyes covered by designer sunglasses, as he strode in the conference room in slow-motion, while in the distance Kayla could hear the sound of violins and angels singing – Jesse McCartney!

            As he sat on the chair, Kayla was brought back to reality. I am not dreaming! She thought frantically. He was real and he was really there, two chairs away from her. She looked at Benny who was saying something to Jesse McCartney.

            "Let's get the meeting started then," Benny said, as the people around her started murmuring.

            "Jesse, we would like you to sing in our advertisement!" a lady shouted from the back.

            "And we have a perfume ad coming out so will you be the face to promote it," another man voiced out.

            "You called me out for a meeting to ask me about this?" Jesse asked, as everyone hushed to a silence, "You could've just made an appointment with my manager couldn't you? And Benny, why didn't you ask them the reason before calling me out for this meeting – which don't you think is a waste of my time?"

            "I'm sorry, Jesse," Benny said, "They said they had important business matters to discuss."

            "Well, discuss it with you!" Jesse said, slamming his fist on the table, "That's why you're my manager aren't you? I don't have to be here!"

            "I will see to it, Jesse," Benny said as Jesse McCartney got up to leave. He went out the door, slamming it shut, the sound of it reverberating through Kayla. She never focused on the discussion Benny was having with the people, as her mind reeled with what just happened.

            What happened to my angel? She thought to herself in confusion. Why was he so aggressive? For a moment she was filled with despair, as the image she had of him as a God shattered into a million pieces.