Chapter 5

“Come on, man, let’s go, it’s my treat today!” Nicky said, pulling him by the shoulder. He rolled his eyes, but let himself be pulled along, “Come on, you’re my only best friend!”

            Best friend, hah! Jesse McCartney thought to himself. Yeah, they were best friends, sort of. Nicky was actually his personal rival in the film and song industry – since the first time they met at Jesse’s first movie interview where Jesse got the lead role, while Nicky got the second lead. They became friends on set, but there was always the underlying tension. Nicky was a singer like Jesse too, but when Jesse branched out into acting, Nicky started acting too. When Jesse started modeling, Nicky started modeling too, although not as successful as Jesse was. When Jesse gave voice for animation movies, Nicky was also giving voice-overs for animation. People thought they were best of friends as Nicky always hung out with Jesse, but they are actually competing with each other over everything.

            When Jesse signed the contract with Victoria for their public appearance, all of a sudden Nicky started showing interest with her – while he was dating a Russian model. Nicky doesn’t stay with one girl for too long, and that is the only difference between Jesse and him. Jesse never goes out with any girls, only Victoria, and that is only for publicity purposes. Deep down Jesse knew that if he somehow fell in love with a girl (which is unlikely for him), Nicky would be the one to compete for the same girl’s attention, even though she would not be his type.

            “Where do you plan to go?” Jesse asked Nicky, with one eyebrow raised.

            “How about a nice restaurant – I’m getting sick of eating at clubs,” Nicky said, tossing his gold-blonde hair (definitely dyed). He had green eyes, but he always wore different colored contact lenses all the time, so no one really knows his real eye color except his close friends, like Jesse.

            “Which restaurant do you want to go?” Jesse asked, giving in. He knew how persuasive Nicky could be. Better out to see others around than to be stuck at home with just Nicky, Jesse thought. Nicky would go on and on about his self; his movie, his songs, his house, his ride, his girlfriends, and everything under the sun that concerns only him.

            “How about Jamey’s?” Nicky suggested, as Jesse looked at him.

            “Jamey’s?” Jesse repeated, “Well, that sounds okay. No paparazzi and crazy fans.”

            “Yeah,” Nicky said, as they got in his brand new red Ferrari, “That’s what I’m talking about. I wouldn’t mind some fans though.”

            As they drove through the city, Jesse had to endure Nicky talking about his latest girlfriend, Ramona, who was a model. He’s been seeing her for almost a month now, and Jesse was betting they’d break up in a week or so.

            “She asked me to get her flowers,” Nicky was saying as he sped through the city, “But I said, ‘No, I don’t get any flowers for a girl’. And she pouted all night long, so finally I had to buy a bouquet of roses for her, and she finally smiled.”

            “Why don’t you just get her the flowers in the first place?” Jesse asked – he was not an expert in this dating game.