08

𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃
if my strength intimidates you, i hope you realize that's a weakness of yours

"MAGGIE, you have to understand that when you love someone and you go into battle, you're always going to think about that specific person

"MAGGIE, you have to understand that when you love someone and you go into battle, you're always going to think about that specific person. You could be getting shot at and you pause, thinking; what if I get shot? They would live without me. That thought- that single thought of that person you love being alone is something that makes you freeze in battle. And when you freeze in battle, you're bound to die."

Clarke locked eyes with Maggie's shiny green ones as she set her hand on her shoulder. "Glenn thought of you and because of that, he thinks that he let us - Rick, Hershel, and I - down. With a group, it's very dangerous to freeze in battle because not only are you in danger, everyone else is too. You have to see it from his perspective."

"Thank you, Clarke." Maggie gave her a light smile. "Why do you speak as if you have been through wars?"

"My dad was in the military. He taught my brothers and I things that could help us defend ourselves," Clarke half lied. Her father might have been in the military, but it was before her brothers and her were even born.

"You have brothers?" Lori questioned, her eyes set on Clarke, but her long fingers reached for pieces of thin bacon that laid on a plate. They had made breakfast for Beth who had passed out in shock.

"Yeah - had," Clarke corrected her. "I mean, I think they're dead." She sighed as they became confused, but intrigued. "We got separated. Technically, we were hijacked by a herd of walkers. We were standing by Baby, trying to fill the tank when growls filled our ears. It went down hill from there. They were being cornered by at least two dozen walkers while I was chased by the rest. I fought the walkers off the best I could and then I fell off a short cliff. Two weeks later, I saved Sophia and here I am. They could have survived and could be looking for me right now, but- but I have this sinking feeling in my gut that they didn't survive."

"I'm sure they're out there right now, searching all over the place for you," Lori told Clarke, sending her a sympathetic look.

"Don't sympathise with me," Clarke demanded, a growl forming in her throat. "Anyways, it's not like it's the first time I've lost them." She shrugged, snatching up a piece of bacon and slipping it into her mouth. She focused on the juicy flavour instead of the dreaded topic. Sam, Dean, and Cas.

"HOW are you guys doing?" Clarke asked, gently plopping down beside Carl and Sophia as they played with blocks. She was bored and decided to hang out with the kids seeing as they were the least complicated beings on the farm.

"We're making rock towers. Do you want to help us?" Sophia looked, innocence shining in her bright green eyes. The sunlight casted down on her face, making her freckles more prominent.

"Yeah!" Carl exclaimed, standing up with eyes full of excitement. "Please, please."

"What do I get in return?" Clarke questioned playfully, giving them a sly smirk as they exchanged looks.