Chapter 7

(Li Jie and Wang Juan. First appearance of the fem protag and her boyfriend.)

The new idol drama series in which Xu Jun plays the second male lead starts airing today. He is very busy with promoting the series and attending variety shows and interviews.

One day, after finishing an interview, his agent aprroaches him with a face that is hard to describe. Wang Yong looks like he is about to cry, laugh, and shout at the same time. "Brother Wang, is something wrong?"

"Xu Jun, Xu Jun, ah." Wang Yong honestly doesn't know where to begin. "Just now, the company called me. They said they received a call from M Studios. They are giving you a chance to audition for the protagonist role in The Legend of Liu Sheng-li."

Dark brown eyes widen in surprise. "Come again? Brother Wang, are you sure they asked for me? Me?"

"Yes, yes, Xu Jun. They want you," Wang Yong replies in mirth. "I was also the same when I got the call. But let me remind you, this is only an audition. There's no guarantee you will get the role."

"I know, I know. Brother Wang, who else are auditioning for the role?"

The middle-aged agent hesitates. "I heard it's Li Jie and he is personally handpicked by the author."

The author mentioned is of course the best writing novel author, Li Xiu Ying. She has created more than five award winning masterpieces since the start of her writting career. Her theme mainly focuses on ancient history with a touch of Daoism and martial arts. The Legend of Liu Sheng-li also follows this theme and has recently won many awards in the literary world. Xu Jun has not read this book yet but it seems it should be his priority tonight. "When is the audition? Do you have a copy of the book?"

Wang Yong rubs his forehead. "That. They set the audition five days from now." The actor inhales sharply. "The company tells me they will send you a copy of the book as soon as possible."

Meanwhile, inside a room in a high-rise condo, a woman slams her phone on the bed with enough force to make the rectangular object bounce.

"Juan-er? What happened?" asks a frowning Li Jie.

Wang Juan paces on the floor in frustration. "Jie, that just now was assistant director Hu. He is giving me a heads up that there is another actor aiming for Liu Sheng-li."

Li Jie abruptly sits up fom the bed and holds his girlfriend-slash-manager. "How is that possible? Didn't Liu Xiu Ying agree that only I get to play the protagonist's role?"

"Yes, she did. But it seems her stipulation is overridden." She receives another call and this one is from the big boss of their agency. She makes an eye contact with Li Jie who politely steps back to give her privacy. She answers the phone and finds out the cause of their worry. She thanks her boss before hanging up. "Another investor has injected a huge amount of money to produce the film. One of their conditions is to recommend an actor to play the protagonist's role. Since the investor only made a recommendation and not a demand, the main director and other producers agree."

"Which investor?" asks Li Jie who looks unperturbed.

"It's Z Tech Industry," replies Wang Juan. Stillness envelopes the whole room. Z Tech Industry is a multi-billion giant company. They produce the most cutting-edge technology used in various equipments, cars, and household appliances. One of their latest breakthrough is called auto-driving. It's a system that lets the car drive itself. The innovative company also has a hand in developing the highly sophisticated cameras and audio equipments used in the film industry. Furthermore, the CEO of Z Tech Industry, Wei Xiaolong is only twenty-seven this year but he has already dominated the electronics industry. His future is very bright. This powerful, handsome man, whoever gets a hold of him, is guaranteed to succeed.