Chapter 5

Several days later, New Year comes. The court and other establishments are closed for a period of seven days in order for people to celebrate, relax, and welcome a new beginning. Relatives from far regions visit the main branch of their family to pay respect to the elders and celebrate the festivity. Gifts and red envelops are passed around from the old to the young. Other items such as jewelries, exotic things, or longevity herbs are also exchanged among different families, indicating their close ties and intention of extending their friendship.

In the Yu residence, everything and everyone is lively. Nobody dares to breath a word about what happened a couple of weeks ago. However, hush whispers are still going around. The blood kin who have come from the countryside and spent almost a month on the road are quick to learn about the inside gossip. Apparently, the favorite concubine of the patriarch has schemed against the main wife by poisoning her. It's recently come to light so now the vile woman together with her son are exiled and, on the way, they have encountered a mishap. They have disappeared without a trace.

As for the person who is the victim of the scheming mistress, Li Ming doesn't want to mingle with those two-faced relatives. However, those thick-faced people don't give up and keep on extending their well-wishes. Li Ming, exasperated, orders his maidservants to intercept those unwelcomed guests. It is not that he is heartless. But the calculating gaze of those people is really getting into his nerves. Hmph. Now that I receive the emperor's favor, you come and curry favor? What do you take me for?

On the first day of New Year, the younger generation has to pay respect to the older generation. Li Ming is, of course, exempted from this due to his health condition. However, in the afternoon, the Head Eunuch of the palace personally visits the Yu household. He bears gifts and His Majesty's message. The Yu patriarch and madam solemnly bow and greet the Head Eunuch who skillfuly evades the bow from them.

"Please, stand," the Head Eunuch, Yao Li, says softly, urging the Minister of Finance and his wife to stay upright. "I am merely His Majesty's errand servant."

If Yu Xieren believes this, then he doesn't deserve to be called patriarch of one of the powerful families in the empire. He smiles and postures humbly. They all take a seat inside the guesthouse and make a small talk after being served tea and snacks. Yu Xieren doesn't forget to order his servant to notify Yu Huan to come and receive this esteemed guest.

After a few minutes, a pale youth dressed in resplendent white robe appears inside the modestly decorated room. He is supported on two sides by delicately looking servants. Nonetheless, the youth overshadows them despite his sickly palor. Yao Li quickly stands up when he sees the young man is about to bow.

Before Li Ming can bend his back, a warm hand takes his and leads him to sit down. He blinks his confused eyes and tilts his head, throwing a questioning gaze towards his equally baffled parents.

Yao Li, seeing those lost innocent eyes, is instantly taken with Yu Huan. He is now over forty years old and has sincerely served His Majesty since his youth and this naturally translates to the crown prince, especially when the empress has passed away. He has paid a lot of attention towards Yan Jianhong's upbringing, making sure none of the concubines and other princes' plots harm him. So towards this benefactor, he has a very good impression.

"Young master Yu Huan, you are still ill. You shouldn't have come out just to see this humble servant," Yao Li opens. The child shakes his head and gives him a cute smile. The corner of the Head Eunuch's eyes wrinkles in amusement. "I will not prolong my stay so that young master Yu Huan can go back and rest."

He signals for the other eunuchs who have come with him from the palace to bring trunks after trunks of assorted gifts. Inside them are priceless treasure acquired since the founding of the empire. Everyone in the room sucks in a breath. Didn't the emperor already bestow numerous gifts before? - is their thought along with Li Ming.