Chapter 2

At the age of one, Li Ming's body can be considered healthy despite the poor treatment of Yu family. Nevertheless, Yu Shuren deftly bundles the small infant, making sure to leave a breathing space for him, and carefully places his baby brother inside a fruit basket. He tests the weight and frowns. Yu Huan needs to be fattened.

He leaves the Yu residence with an excuse of visiting his good friend, the youngest son of the Yan Empire's Unit Commander, Huo Tao. Both are six years old but Yu Shuren's position is higher as he is the sole successor of Yu family. Nonetheless, the two have been close since the first time they have met in a temple.

When Yu Shuren steps out of the carriage, a servant volunteers to carry the slightly large basket but Yu Shuren protectively holds it while shaking his head. It is good that his brother can not make sound. If it is another baby, they'd be wailing by now.

Yu Shuren follows a maid of the Huo residence. They pass by other servants who give respectful bow towards young master Yu. Soon, they reach a green courtyard. Green as in the whole place is only decorated with green plants - from the towering bamboo plants, a maple tree, creeping sedum, hebe, and to cacti. For a person from military lineage, his young friend has refreshing taste.

A youth full of dark purple hair comes out of the room and waves for Yu Shuren to get in. Taking off his shoes, Yu Shuren enters his friend's room and deposits the fruit basket on the small table.

Huo Tao quirks an eyebrow before signalling a maid dressed in peppermint robe to serve them tea and snacks. Laid before them is a hodgepodge of sweet and salty pastries complemented with green tea. Yu Shuren inwardly admonishes his friend. Why are you so crazy with anything that is green?

"Can you dismiss your servants?" the young master Yu starts, making an eye contact with the other child in the room. When all the maids exit the courtyard, Yu Shuren stands up and opens the closed doors, peeking his head out to make sure nobody is spying on them, before closing them again.

To Huo Tao, this kind of action from his friend, is nothing new to him. He simply sips his fragrant green tea and waits for his dear friend. However, when that same friend reveals a small infant from the incospicuous basket, even the so-called "always calm and composed" second young master Huo has to spit and choke on his beloved tea.

Li Ming can finally move! He glares at Yu Shuren, wanting to pee on him but... better not. He squirms in his big brother's hold, wanting to explore the new environment. The six-year-old kid releases him and the baby ignores the two children in favor of crawling around.

"Are you sure to leave your baby brother like that?"

"Don't worry, baby Huan-er is smart. He won't put anything bad inside his mouth."

The two converse and think of a plan to take Yu Huan away from the Yu residence. Li Ming doesn't bother with them. He doesn't think that anything will come out of their discussion. They are only kids. Kids. And what is he? A freaking baby.

"Xiao Hong, open the door." The door slides open without making noise and a chubby baby with dark curls crawl out of the room, unbeknownst to the two youth. Feeling his knees hurt, Li Ming shakily stands up and unsteadily walks with one arm leaning on the wall for support.

The house of the second young master of Hou is nice. The inside is mostly decorated with simple ornaments and small leafy plants. The walls are made from sturdy mahogany wood. This kind of combination creates a feeling being one with nature. No wonder the kid has a good temperament for his age.

Li Ming enjoys his time wandering around. He never gets to visit anywhere, always trapped in his desolate courtyard. For this rare opportunity he asks Xiao Hong to open any closed doors so he can explore them. Unknowingly, he has traversed to another residence so when the door slides open, someone almost steps on him. He falls on his plump bottom, heart racing like crazy.