Chapter 6

(Above image depicts Yu Shuren and Yan Jianhong)

When Li Ming wakes up the next day, he finds a five-bat (1) hand-carved pendant lying on his chest. The exquisite aquamarine pendant is secured with a black thread looped around his neck. A warm sensation seems to emit from this object.

Right on cue, Xiao Hong explains that the pendant is, in actuality, carved from a high-grade spiritual rock. Compared to the golden spiritual rock has absorbed by accident, this one is ten times richer in spiritual energy. [Master, please don't absorb it.] The red system repeats its advice from yesterday.

"My man gave it to me?" Li Ming, after releasing once yesterday, has been a bit out of it. He isn't too sure if Hou Fang is the one who has slipped this gift for him.

[Yes, Master. Before your beloved left, he tied the pendant to your neck.]

Li Ming fiddles with the necklace and a charming smile blossoms on his face. It seems that his beloved has not forgotten to give him a gift. I hope he likes my return gift then. That return gift costs him 30,000 points from the system store. It is a dark-colored cuff bracelet inlaid with ruby-like gems. This expensive item, according to the description, is a low-tier artifact capable of enhancing the user's alertness up to 30% and buffing the user's energy up to 30% when it is almost depleted. Another function is it's automatic response in countering any weapons from a minor world. Since Li Ming has already given the general a modified lancer, he thinks that a defensive armament is a necessity.

Li Ming has no idea that this "low-level weapon" will become an important heirloom of the Hou family. Of course, this is a story in the future.

The rest of the New Year, the resting second young master turns away all the visiting relatives. They have heard of the emperor's generous gifting so they come and bother him, wanting to see the treasures. Li Ming thinks that this is definitely not the right attitude of a rich and proper family. They are so damn nosy. Have they never seen gold and gems in vast quantities? Li Ming is sick of them!

[Master, it is not that they want to see the gold, rather they want to know what is inside that small box. They think there is something important inside.] Xiao Hong explains.

The dark-haired youth rubs his nose. Important doesn't even cover it. That thing is a symbol of the emperor's goodwill and favor. And Li Ming has accidentally turned it to ash. Aiya.

-----

The discovery of the spiritual rocks leads back to over a decade ago. A governor from an obscure territory in the southern province has attended the annual banquet in the imperial palace. That territory is small compared to its neighbors. However, the reason it is never assimilated with the other territories and why the governor can keep his position is due to the richness of its land. Every year, the governor presents several crates of mined and refined minerals to the emperor.

That year, the governor has mentioned of discovering a new mining site that produces several colored rocks. However, those rocks, when compared to those used for jewelry and other adornments, lack in lustre and appearance. He still dutifully reports this to the person who sits on the dragon throne and respectfully hands over a few samples.

The Emperor Yan Long has then commended the hard-working governor and has generously reduced their tax by 2%. It is only after a year that the emperor discovers that those rocks may not be ordinary after all.

One time, the crown prince has snuck in the treasure room, stumbling on a crate of dull-looking rocks. He sniffs at their ugly appearance, kicking the box before turning away. A cyan-colored rock falls out and Yan Jianhong, with a guilty look, picks it up.