Chapter 7

In the busy street of the capital, a grand procession is underway. A four-horse drawn carriage bearing the Hou family crest leads the convoy followed by a line of rugged men carrying trunks of varying size. Inside the moving vehicle are the three members of the Hou family - the madam, the patriarch, and the eldest son. Hou Fang sits with a straight back, eyes closed and breathing normal. However, his inner turmoil is the total opposite. If one looks closely, they will notice his clammy palms.

Today is the day he is going to formally ask for his beloved's hand in marriage. The general personally thinks that his betrothal gifts are lacking. Yet he is left without a choice since his Ah Huan is getting bullied by his family - except for the bro-con Yu Shuren. When he received the spy's report last night, he almost brought over his elite battalion and laid siege to the Yu residence. If not for Tao's interference, he might have bid farewell to his future in-laws. His blood boils in fury just thinking about his beloved suffering. He may have let them go this time, but that bastard who dared to hurt his beloved isn't. Isn't he just a 3rd rank official? The uncle's sudden departure (death) will surely not be missed. There are plenty of capable men willing to replace him after all.

The Hou mother, Ji Yawen shakes her head full of dark purple hair. Why is her outstanding son emitting murderous intent when today is supposed to be a joyous occasion? She nudges her quiet husband who only shakes his head in response.

When the entourage enters the Yu residence, Yu Xieren personally welcomes them. He exchanges pleasantries with the Unit Commander, Hou Ru, and his wife. They settle in the guesthouse. Soon, Yu Huan and his mother join the group.

Li Ming makes an eye contact with the astute general and flashes him a small smile. He sits beside his mother like a well-behaved child.

Madam Hou calls for the daoist priest to predict an auspicious date for the marriage. The immaculate man brimming with serene and immortal aura cups his hands before bringing out his instruments. He performs some hocus-pocus movements while chanting in low voice. Li Ming inwardly snorts at the sight. Don't let the daoist priest's demeanor fool you. This guy is simply a talented actor that the general picked up to do a trick. Yes, the date is already predetermined.

"The heaven has answered this humble messenger!" the daoist priest exclaims. "The marriage must be done on the day when the sun is at its peak and when the moon is in full bloom."

Everyone shares a blank look.

The daoist priest smiles benevolently. "The wedding may proceed three days from now."

Hand trembling, Yu Xieren almost curses. He asks to clarify. The con artist calmly replies that it must be done exactly three days from now lest a calamity befalls the Yu family. The Yu patriarch swallows back his angry retorts.

The daoist priest makes up an excuse and leaves. The room instantly plunges in awkward silence. Bai Wei smiles and suggests that the two betrothed may want to view the blooming cherry blossoms in the northern courtyard. Hou Fang expresses his thanks to Ah Huan's mother and the two lovebirds leave the elders to discuss the impending marriage.

The general swiftly carries Li Ming in his arms and they fly towards the forest of cherry blossoms. There is no other word to describe the action other than "flying". The general indeed lives up to everyone's expectation. His internal qi and agility movement are first class. The pair of lovers lands amidst the flurry of pink and white petals dancing along the wind. The mild scent envelopes their beautiful silhouette.

Li Ming looks around and tries to catch a passing petal. Just as he touches his target, his jade white hand is captured in a gentle grip. He lets the older man embrace him from behind as he roams his free hand in those strong muscles obstructed by a layer of fabric. He feels a bump on the general's wrist and turns his attention to the cuff embedded with small red stones. He smiles and brings his beloved's arm closer so he can lay a kiss on the artifact.