Chapter 9

"Goddamnit! Why is that bastard He Zan in the movie too?!" shouts an irate man as he smashes a glass against the wall. He combs his hair back, eyes narrowing dangerously. Just remembering what happened this afternoon sends his blood boiling. Those fucking investors and director! Not only is a more famous actor playing in the same movie as him, he now has to share his protagonist role with a thrid-rate actor. He slams another glass, making it crack into pieces.

Wang Juan solemnly watches her boyfriend vent his anger. She gets where his ire is coming from after all. He Zhan and Li Jie debuted at the same time. However, the former is born from a family that has deep roots in the entertainment and music industry. His connections are wide and vast, making him shot up to popularity so soon. His distinguished features and down-to-earth personality contribute to his fame as well. Most importantly his talent in acting is undeniable. No matter what role he plays, he brings them to life.

Li Jie, on the other hand, comes from an ordinary background. He is Wang Juan's past student when she was doing part-time tutorials during college. She was 18 years old then, he was 11. He was a normal brat and his looks could be considered slightly above-average. The part-time job ended and they never met again until, by twist of fate, she saw him on the street. She was mesmerized by his silent countenance as he waited beside a post. She had thought, "Ah, this man can be a star." She approached him and they got reacquainted. She managed to coax him to join her agency and their climb to stardom started then. In order to get roles for tv shows and movies, she had to use unscrupulous methods. Sometimes she even had to sell her own actor. While it hurt her to share his lover with other men and women, she would not regret because, right now, her Li Jie is an A-list actor. He Zhan might have gotten there two years earlier, but considering his background, Li Jie doesn't lag behind.

Wang Juan clenches her fist. What happened today is a huge blow, not only for Li Jie, but also for her. Suddenly having a curve ball thrown in their direction, they have no time to react. She doesn't want to move blindly so she opts to call their agency's big boss. Wang Juan eyes her still venting boyfriend before exiting the room. Her hand fishes out a phone and dials the company number.

Meanwhile, Xu Jun dazedly drives home at night. When he gets inside the three-storey villa, he immediately asks for his brother's whereabouts. He walks to the study and knocks before entering. Wei Xiaolong looks up and stops what he's doing, waiting patiently for the younger guy to start. "Brother, I got the role," intones Xu Jun.

The older man grunts in recognition."Congratulations. You deserve it."

Xu Jun blinks and blinks some more, finally coming out his stupor. "You.." helped me. He pauses, unsure how to word his thoughts. "I heard Z Tech is investing in the movie and specifically asks me to act Liu Shengli."

Wei Xiaolong meets his younger brother's penetrating gaze. He nods in assent.

Xu Jun smiles from the bottom of his heart. "Then I will make sure the money you invested will be returned to you ten-fold!" I will do my best and will not let you down. He quickly escapes from the room, face up to neck visibly flushed.

He looks for baby and finds him flipping books in the library. He takes out his phone and sneakily takes a shot. Grinning from ear to ear, he scoops his baby and nuzzles his soft fur. The white cat bristles from being interrupted, playfully biting Xu Jun. "Baby, guess what, I get to play Liu Shengli! Though it's only the younger version." He hugs his baby and pets him while recollecting this afternoon's scene. He giggles and squeals like a fanboy, scaring the feline. "And you know what, I get to meet He Zan! He is even better looking up close. I thought I was gonna mess up when I was acting with him during the audition, but somehow, we got our scene in one take!"