11- troubles

He was pale, sickly pale. His eyes were dark and sunken, he looked unhealthy. The usual glint in his eyes were lost, like happiness was sucked out of him. The sight reminded of her parents, and it hit her. Draco had become a death eater.

"Draco" she whispered as he walked into the compartment. She walked over and wrapper her arms around him. He flinched as if he hadn't had physical contact with anyone in a long time. Then timidly, he wrapped his arms around her slowly and they stayed there for a moment, feeling each other's presence. She decided not to ask questions yet, there were too many people around to hear.

"I missed you" she said as her forehead rested on his, gazing in his grey eyes.
"Me too love" his voice was hollow and hurt. It almost brought tears to her eyes, it hurt her to see people she loved like this. First were her parents then Draco. She felt absolutely helpless, which was a terrible feeling.

She gave him a sad smile and motioned him to sit down with her. She rested her head on his shoulder while he grabbed her hand and grazed his thumb over her knuckles.

Pansy walked in, her eyes filled with sadness as she glanced at the station one more time, looking at her parents. She gave a curt nod to the couple and sat down in front of them.

The three sat in silence as they heard their compartment open again. There stood Blaise Zabini, always the humorous one with lost eyes. His hands were trembling and he sighed as if in relief that he was leaving his parents.

The train ride that day felt long. No one talked, but just sat gathering their own thoughts. It was not awkward though, it was almost comforting and peaceful.

The train stopped at a jolt and Hermione sighed, standing up while still holding onto Draco's hand. He gave her a sad smile and stood up, while grabbing a small suitcase above him.

*******
"Come with me" Hermione said as they reached the Slytherin common rooms. Draco raised his eyebrows tiredly but nodded and walked behind her.

To test her theory, she grabbed her lover's right arm softly only to hear him take a sharp intake of breath and jolt. She was right, he had been given the dark mark.

She closed the door to her room quietly and looked in Draco's confused grey eyes. She walked over and hugged him again. She guided her left hand down his right arm to try and reveal his mark. But before she could grab his sleeve, he could quickly pushed her away and guarded his arm.

"Draco, please let me see it" she whispered.
"See what?" Draco lied.
"I know you got the mark Draco, don't lie to me"

Draco's eyes turned stone cold and he gave a venomous look she had never seen before.
"I don't know what you're talking about" he shot back stubbornly.

Hermione reached her hand and softly grabbed his arm, focusing on his eyes.
"Please" was all she said. Draco's jaw tightened, contemplating on an answer. He deeply sighed and rolled up his sleeves.

She batted her eyes, trying to get rid of the tears swelling up in her eyes.
"It looks just like my parents'" Hermione sighed. A tear escaped her eye and Draco lifted his thumb, carefully wiping it away.

"I'm sorry" he sighed.
"Stop, don't apologize"

Draco pulled her close to him and rested his chin on her shoulder. Tears glided down his face and he did nothing to stop it.

"Malfoys don't cry" His father would always say. But was it really needed for him to not show emotions? He was only human after all.

"I don't want this, but he threatened me with my parents. I just couldn't Hermione, they're my family. I don't know what to do"

Hermione rubbed circled on his back, attempting to calm him down.
"Shhhh Draco" she whispered in his ears.

"I'm a coward aren't I?" He laughed to himself humorlessly.
"Draco don't say-"
"Pathetic little Malfoy couldn't stand up for the dark lord just like his father" Draco scoffed. She saw another tear glide down his face while his eyes trained in hers.

She knew that he wasn't very good at opening up, so she didn't bombard him like she usually would with questions. All she wanted to do tonight was to do her best to comfort him.

She brought her forehead onto his and closed her eyes while he did the same. 
"Please, just don't say things like that about yourself. Just don't" she warned.

Wet tears glided down the couple's faces as they breathed shallowly, desperately trying to stay sane.

"I love you Draco, always remember that" she said as she gave a quick kiss on his trembling lips. Hermione could see him nodding his head lightly and replying,
"I love you too Hermione"