A truly evil twin sister

My twin sister Mallory and I are completely indistinguishable, right down to our overly sensitive Irish skin. The only visible difference is a small burn on Mal's forearm, from overexposure to the sun.

We used to be really close, but ever since Mal started dating Sam, she's been spending less time with me. But two weeks ago, Sam came over when Mallory wasn't home. I was about to tell him she was at Jessica's for an overnight cram session, but he kissed me before I got the chance. He thought I was my sister.

Then he started talking. "Molly isn't here, is she?" he asked me, looking around.

Obviously I was there, not Mal. I was wearing long sleeves, and he wasn't looking for the burn anyway. But I'd never been kissed before, and he was good at it, so I played along.

"No, we're alone," I smiled my sister's best smile.

"Good. I know you've been fed up with her lately. It's good that you're not spending so much time with her anymore."

Fed up? I knew I was becoming a third wheel with them. But then Sam's mouth met mine, harder this time, and I found myself swept up in the urgency of his kisses.

I realized, in that moment, that I wanted everything Mal had. I was fed up as well. I was sick of coming in second place in the eyes of the other half of my soul.

The next morning, Mallory came home looking especially tired, complaining of a headache.

"You look like you've been working really hard!" I said sympathetically. "It's Sunday. You should rest, and let all that material sink in."

"You're right," she agreed, looking thoughtful. "Maybe I'll go lay out on the beach for twenty minutes, to relax."

"That sounds like a great idea! Here, you should use my new spray-on sunscreen. SPF 120, for our delicate skin." I handed her the bottle, and two tablets. "Here, take these aspirin, too, for your headache."

She looked at me strangely, eyes flashing guilt and then turning grateful quickly.

"Thanks so much. I'm gonna have my earphones in, OK? I'll be in our usual spot if you need me. But I'll be back in a half hour max."

"Right, if you're not, I'll come looking." She'd once stayed in the sun too long and the small portion of her arm outside of the umbrella had burned.

I helped her get coated in a thick layer of the spray-on sunscreen and made sure she took the pills before she left.

I followed and watched her fall asleep. It was a sunny day, and my forearm stung where I'd smudged some spray. I grabbed the umbrella and toted it back to the house.

At around sundown, I heard footsteps. I greeted Sam, who glanced at my burnt arm and asked where Molly was.

"No idea," I said, kissing him and pushing the cooking oil under the table with my foot.