Chapter 12: The Breakup

(Christian's POV)

Why the fuck am i nervous? She isn't the first one, I constantly repeat to myself in my head. But she is the one who'll lift the whole restaurant on her head. I sigh. What night was it when I met Sabrina Claire?

"Uncle Chris, watch the movie!", Ava says as she pokes my cheek. I smile down at her. If it wasn't for Ava right now, I would probably not be in my senses.

As much as I hate this woman, she sure has taught me somethings in life. She is one of the most focused person i've ever met. Her goal is to be at par with the men in the country and I would be happy to fund her medical course but she doesn't want that. Even in a restaurant, in spite my numerous protests, she would split the bill. She wants to stand on her own feet, make her own identity and I appreciate it. But her attitude reminds me of her.. my ex-wife. They both are so similar, but yet different. She had the power to mold me, but I am not going to be molded by anyone now. That phase has ended, and I don't want to revisit it ever again.

"Ava, babygirl, I have to go somewhere..", I hate to leave her and I see her face visibly falls.

"Why?"

"It's important but I will surely make it upto you!"

"3 candies?", obviously.

"2?"

"3!"

"No, we had pizzas today. No more junk."

"Okay, 2!", she gives in this time.

"I'll be back soon", I say and I kiss her forehead. She is one of the best persons to hang out with. She is the one who lifted me up after my ex-wife. And it still angers me to take her name. Just imagining her name opens up a forbidden territory, territory of memories.

I get in the car as Taylor drives to the restaurant near Sabrina's hospital. I dislike this area but the food here is of good quality and i'm all for good food.

For the first time ever, Sabrina is here. Before time. And she looks breath-taking. She is wearing an emerald dress and has her blonde hair loose. She grins as she spots me. Its almost a mocking grin and rethink about the breakup.

"Hey Chrissy", she hugs me as I approach the table.

"For the final time, Sabrina, It's Christian.", I warn her in a low voice and she gasps and pulls back.

"But.. I was just.."

"No."

She shuts up finally, and I pull back her chair as she takes her seat. I sit opposite her as the waiter approaches us. I scan the menu but she wants to order this time.

"Oysters?", she asks me and winks at me discreetly. I smirk at her. Of course.

We order oysters and she starts talking about her cases today while I brace myself to tell her the real reason for this dinner. I don't want to create a scene but that seems impossible. I should've probably done it at Escala, in the privacy of my home.

"Sabrina", I say, "I wanna talk to you about something."

"Me too.", she says with a straight face.

"You go first", I say.

"So.. I was thinking.. that we have a connection..", she fumbles and I sense where this is heading. Not again. "What do you think about marriage?" And I make a face discreetly.

The very real reason I want to leave this. I hate that word, marriage. Marriage is nothing but an official promise to be broken, the promise of forever, which doesn't exist in real life. She knows my past, she knows I hate the word marriage, but she has been bringing the term up for a month. I don't want a marriage.