Chapter 23: "You Are Not Alone"

Anastasia's POV

"When the night, has come

And the land is dark,

And the moon is the only light we'll see"

I woke to the melodious voice that seems to be coming down from the hall. And not just any melodious voice, his voice. I haven't heard him sing since.. I don't even remember the last he was singing.

I look out to see it's still dark. I check the clock on the nightstand that reads 3 am.

What is Christian doing at 3 am?

I turn to see Mila fast asleep besides me. I kiss her forehead and get out of the bed. Just as I was about to leave the room, I realized that i'm only wearing an oversized shirt. I blushed furiously at the thought of Christian seeing me in this and slip on a robe and get out of the room.

"No I won't be afraid,

Just as long, as you stand, stand by me"

I follow the voice which seems to be coming from the living room. As I near, I hear the piano tunes too. I'm surprised I didn't here them before.. maybe I was too focused on his voice.

I stand in the corner, in shadows as I look at him. He is wearing a dark blue tshirt and grey sweatpants. His hair is messed up and his eyes are closed as he plays the piano. It's almost like he knows what is he playing, like he has played this song a million times before.

But then I notice his expression. It is pained, like he has a lot to say but he cannot but his features says it all. He is over thinking again. And if I didn't know him inside out, i'd say it probably must be something about work or his mother or something. But I know it's about me, I know it's about today afternoon..

14 hours before:

"Stop it", I whisper-shout.

"Stop what?"

"This", I say as I put a hand on his thigh so he stops tapping the floor furiously. He yanks his leg away from me immediately as looks out of the window.

We are currently seated in Dr. Gerald's office, waiting for her. I would be lying if I'd say I was happy to come here, to Grey Sloan Memorial. I mean i'm going to be practically treated in the same hospital as Christian's ex Dr I-don't-know-her-first-name Claire. There is a big fat chance I might die from wrong medicine than the cancer itself.

But he says that this hospital is the best for cancer treatment and he wants nothing but the best for me. Though i'd rather go to any other hospital than this but hey, Christian's money, Christian's choice.

This seems like it's forced, you'd say, but honestly at this point, I don't care anymore. I'm done living upto everyone's expectations of being the perfect person. I mean I never was, but I don't know why there are expectations from me to excel at every decision I make. I'm already facing karma for taking 6 years of being a father for Christian, I might as well die in the hands of Dr. Claire.

Positive thoughts, my subconscious nudged.

Whatever.

"Sorry to keep y'all waiting", Dr. Gerald says as she comes in. She is wearing a black dress and the hospital coat on top of it. Her hair is on lose and she has her glasses on, making her look a couple of years older than she must be. "Hello", she shakes our hands and sits across on her chair.