Chapter 28: Rain Dance

Christian's POV

"Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Grey", Gail wishes politely as I stand there dumbfounded. How did I forget November 28th?

"Thank you", Ana and I mutter at the same time. "Did you arrange all this?", she asks.

"Mila came to me and asked to make a cake and throw a party. Sawyer helped me with the decorations", Gail replies.

"It's beautiful", she says with a smile.

"Let's cut the cake!", Mila says enthusiastically and tugs Gail forward gently by her dress.

She places the cake on the coffee table in the living room and hands over the knife to Ana and me. We hold the knife together. As Ana places her hand on mine a shiver runs down my spine. I try my best to contain it, but I can't. After we cut the cake, Mila, Gail, Sawyer and Taylor all clap for us. Ana takes the piece of cake and feeds me.

"Happy Anniversary, Christian", she whispers.

I take a piece and do the same. "Happy Anniversary", I mutter and avert my gaze. For some reason, I cannot look at her right now. Memories from our wedding day floods my mind as I desperately try to push them to the back of my mind. Anastasia walking down the aisle in a white dress, looking breathtaking, holding white lilies as she walks between thousands of white roses that are neatly organized on either side of the aisle. The way we held each other's gaze while saying our vows, promising to love each other forever. The way my heart skipped a beat when she so lovingly said "I do", our first dance... It has been seven years, but I still remember them like it was yesterday.

"Here!", Mila hands over a card, bringing me back to reality. "I made it for you", she says shyly.

It is a card made from red paper with a beautiful paper quilling arranged in the shape of a big flower in the center. Inside, she has written why she loves us. It's the most precious gift I've ever received.

"It's so beautiful, Mila!", I say as tears well up in my eyes. Gosh, can my daughter be any more perfect?

"It really is", Ana says and kisses Mila on her cheek as she blushes.

"Let's have dinner!", Gail exclaims and leads us to the dining table. She has gone all out with the dinner today. She made us steak and mac & cheese at Mila's request.

"Tell me about your wedding!", Mila says, enthusiastically.

"What do you want to know?", I reply.

"Everything! Did mommy look pretty?"

"Very", I say and look at Ana who blushes profusely. "She was the most beautiful person on this entire planet." She gasps and stares down at her hands.

"And you?", Mila interrupts.

"Me? What about me?"

"Were you pretty?" she says with a giggle.

"He looked very handsome", Ana replies and smiles.

"I wish I was there for your wedding!", Mila sighs, dramatically to which we both laugh. This is what I always dreamt. My family, around the table for dinner, discussing about everything in the world lightheartedly. Unfortunately for me, I realized this dream a little too late.

"Let's go out for ice cream!", Mila says.

"Fine by me", Ana shrugs.

As we're on our way out to the elevator, Mila shouts "Goodbye Taylor and Gail and Sawyer!"