Chapter 20: Confrontation

Chapter 20: Confrontations

Christian's POV.

"And then the bee and the butterfly became friends!", Mila concludes her story just as I finish my breakfast. I smile distractedly at her in response.

"Daddy, talk to me!", she shakes me and gets my attention.

"Mila, how many times should I tell you to eat first and then talk", Ana looks at Mila pointedly and puts a spoonful of her cereal in her mouth. Mila pouts at her in response.

"Why is nobody talking to me?!", she complains and eats her breakfast, dropping bread crumbs successfully on the carpet. Not that I mind but it'll be hell of a work for Maria, the temporary homemaker today.

I look at Ana and as if on cue, she looks at me. Her eyes are warm but I know her mind's not. I'd give a million bucks to know what is going on inside the head of her's, its still a big mystery after all these years.

"Finish your breakfast, we have to go look for a new school too.", Ana tells Mila and I look at her, dumbfounded.

"And when was this plan made?", I shoot her an annoyed look.

"It was the plan all along, Christian."

"It's Mr. Grey for you. And since we 'hide' stuff, even the important ones that can be 'life threatening'" I make quotation marks with my fingers "I wouldn't be surprised at this."

"Very well, Mr. Grey.", She says as she emphasizes the last part. "Since you are the father it'll only be fair if you come along."

"Oh, I don't need your invitation Miss Steele, I get what I want.", I smirk and get up. I don't want to ruin my morning having a banter with Anastasia of all people.

As I turn to leave the room, I hear her say, "It's still Ana for you, Mr. Grey and I still haven't said yes."

That woman.

As I enter my office, I start up the laptop and start searching more about ovarian cancer. As I read the article, I can't help but recall yesterday. My head still hurts from all the shouting and accusations. Halfway through the fight I realized the argument wasn't only restricted to her not telling me about her disease but all our pent up emotions that we shoved at the back of our minds for 6 years..

Previous Night:

"Why were you going through my stuff?", Ana shouted.

"Lower your voice woman, a child is sleeping."

"Oh so now you advice me how to raise a child!"

"Apologies since I don't have an expertise in this department as you hid my child from me for 5 years."

"Blame it all on me when it was you who said no on having a child!"

I can't believe it. How can Ana have a disease as deadly as cancer? My brain still can't fathom that I couldn't see it, couldn't see that she is sick. Have I turned that blind for not reading her face?

I look at her, he face puffed up and eyes bloodshot red. It was the same as this morning, infact more miserable right now. I realize we are going off track but right now I want to know more about her sickness so I changed the subject. This can be debated afterwards.

"Anastasia, when were you going to tell me?", I say each word slowly, as if i'm talking to a child about it.

She looks in my eyes with pursed lips and then looks away, tears freely flowing. "Never."