Chapter Twelve: Revelation

AUTHOR'S POV   

Moments after Laurent found out that Charles won't be punished and ultimately walking away, mama and Larry have been at a loss for words. After all he's been through these past few months, or actually, for most of his life this couldn't have been more devastating. Larry is nearly frozen so he hasn't been able to go and check on him. Knowing how upset he is causes him to join mama in shedding tears...but he can only go so long without the need to check on Laurent so he stands up from the table and wipes tears from his face to do exactly that. He stops behind mama and bends down to sweetly hug her and kiss her cheek...whispering in her ear that he's going to talk to him. She nods gently so he releases her and heads for the bedroom. He quietly turns the knob only to discover the door is locked so he gently presses his ear to the door and as he strains to hear for any sound coming from the other side he eventually hears sniffs. He shuts his eyes and softly blows out a sigh of despair...hesitating for a split second then softly knocks on the door...

Larry: "Laurent? Can I come in"?

*silence*

Larry: "I'm so sorry". 

Silence falls again and just when Larry is about to ask if he can come in again he hears Laurent's voice in an angry yet extremely sad, devastating tone yell...

Larry: "Why are you sorry Larry?! I waited too long to tell you and now nothing can be done! This is my fault"! 

Larry: "This is not your fault Laurent. Please let me come in. Please". 

The door remains closed then Larry feels a presence next to him so he turns his head and his tear-filled eyes are looking at mama. Hearing everything that was said she gently places her hand on Larry's shoulder and nods signaling that she will try and talk to him. Larry softly nods in reply and listens...

Mama: "I know this was the worst news my love but please believe me when I say this isn't your fault".

Laurent: "But if I would have said something when it happened he would be in jail so it is my fault. You can blame me for it mama. It's oki".

Mama: "No it isn't son and we will never blame you. Charles is the blame and just because he's not going to jail doesn't mean he isn't guilty. He's the only blame for this". *pause* "Will you open the door my love"? 

Larry and mama wait patiently to see if the door will be opened. Each second that goes by is a nervous one...but now they're watching it slowly open and Laurent's heavy eyes appear. He begins slowly shifting those eyes between them then he lets go to turn around and walk over to the bed. Mama looks over at Larry and with soft eyes she gives him a gentle nod signaling that he should go in and be with him. She then whispers she'll be in her bedroom if they need her. After she walks away Larry stands at the opening gazing at Laurent with a sinking heart. He eventually steps in and softly closes the door behind him. He approaches Laurent with the gentlest of steps and sits next to him. It's quiet for several moments before Laurent speaks...

Laurent: *sniff* "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell". 

Larry: "It's oki".

Laurent: "You said that Charles came here and he had something to tell you but...you didn't let him". 

Larry: "No I didn't. I don't see what he could tell us that we need to hear". 

*silence*

Larry: "What are you thinking"?

Laurent: "If he wanted to tell you and mama the reason he hurt me".