CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The next morning, I had sat in bed beating myself up for even making the trip out here; I don't know what I was planning to happen. Bree and I had grown apart, not to mention we hadn't even seen each other in all those years. I fumbled through the sheets to find my phone; I now realized that Amy, my girlfriend is probably going out of her mind. I had forgotten to text her yesterday when I landed.

20 missed calls, 20 voicemail messages and 50 text messages, mostly saying

"Call Me, NOW!!!"

"Shit!!" I called her right away. The phone rang once; when she answered I knew I was in for it.

"Hello, Aless? Baby what in the world, are you trying to give me a heart attack or something. Do you know how scared I was trying to figure out if you were dead or alive or worst." She said sounding as if she knew for sure I was taken by aliens or something and she would never see me again. I could hear her Honduran accent coming out and it started to turn me on. I loved it when she spoke Spanish to me, even if I only knew basic High School Spanish. Amy is five feet three and stood just right below my five foot five. I loved being taller than her, even if it was an inch or less.

"Baby, I'm sorry I totally forgot to call you when I got in. I was so tired I just went to bed and I guess I over slept." I lied; hopefully she wouldn't smell my bullshit. " Wait, what could be worse than being dead?"

"Shut up, you know what I mean. You don't know how much you scared me crazy, don't do that again. Do you know what goes through a girl's mind when it's been over 24 hours from when she was supposed to get a phone call? I knew I should have called off work and went with you. What's so amazing about a carnival anyway, they have them here all the time."

"Baby, this is a different type of carnival" I smiled at how cute she sounded being worried. "I think I'll be heading back home early anyways, I'm feeling a little home sick and I know you're going crazy over there. I really miss you." All of last night ran through my head and I couldn't stand being here anymore.

"Yay! You're right I am going crazy." She sounded happy; it made me feel good again. "But, I think you should stay there actually." I was so puzzled, she was just happy to have me come back and now she wants me to stay?

"Huh? I thought you missed me?"

"Don't be silly, of course I miss you you're my everything, but if you come back now before you get to enjoy yourself I'll feel guilty knowing I deprived you of that happiness. Plus, you spent all that money, neither of us should let our feelings get in the way of you having fun... But, JUST REMEMBER TO CALL ME, BONEHEAD!" I smiled knowing she was right, regardless of why I came here I was going to enjoy being here, with or without Bree.

"Ok I guess, well I have 3 more days after today and I'll be counting them all down until I see you again, beautiful."

"That's all I ask" I could tell she was happy and just talking to her for those few minutes made me feel better about life. At least I knew I had something good to go home to. "Ok baby, I have to go, not everybody is on vacation remember, I have work." Amy was a nurse at the hospital a few miles away from our apartment and had been working there for over 5 years. She was great at her job and everybody knew it. I like to think that's one of the things that stood out about her and made me want to get to know her. "I'll call you again when I get off so please be by the phone this time."

"Will do my love!" *Muahz* I gave her kisses through the phone to send her off to work.

"Thank you! Here is some for you *muahz muahz*. I love you sweetheart; I'll talk to you later."

"I love you too" we hung up and I was now ready to get on with my day, definitely not stuck in this hotel room. I searched my suitcase for the perfect outfit, I was going to explore all that Spain had to offer me, and Carnival wasn't until tomorrow, so I had time to get to know this foreign country while I still could. It wasn't often that I got a chance to break away from work. I worked at the hospital where Amy worked, that's how we met over 3 years ago. When I transferred to California from Florida she took me all over and made me feel like home again. Ever since then she was my best friend, not just my girlfriend.