CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

It was my first day going back to work, I had a morning shift today and Amy had an afternoon shift. Usually when we had the same shift we would drive together but I was off by myself today. I got up out of bed trying not to wake Amy and got ready as fast as I could I put on my favorite Tinkerbell scrubs and headed to the kitchen, I grabbed my travel mug and filled it with tea for the road. I went back into the bedroom and gave Amy a kiss on her forehead before heading out. I hopped into my gray Nissan Altima and heading on my 30 min drive to the hospital. I grabbed my tea and headed inside to put my things in my cubby.

"Hey stranger, how was the vaca?" I turned around and it was Julez, she started here around the same time I did and since then we had been pretty good friends.

"Could have been better haha"

"How could a week in Spain with no worries be any better?"

"Well, you remember when I told you I was going to see if thinking about Bree still meant anything?"

"Yea??" she said sitting down waiting on the rest of the story.

"I found my answer, turns out she wasn't what I really wanted. But soon as I figured that out, Amy was there."

"What!? No way? Damn, so how did that go?" She said on the edge of her seat

"I had to tell her the truth, I want her and only her but it's going to take some time for her to believe me, you know? She's been ok for the last couple of days, I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. She my world and I feel so bad that it took me so long to figure that out."

"Geeze, well I'm happy everything is working out for you two. You look so awesome together, you have to stay together."

"Thanks, you know...she brought a ring. I found it in her purse and I asked her about it, she said that she was going to propose. We haven't spoken about it since."

"Wow!! I can see why you said it could have been better. Well, your drama is going to have to wait. It's time to get to business, we have a shit load today."

"Just what I need on the first day back, haha." We headed back out to begin our day.

I rushed about the hospital checking in on all the patients I was assigned to, I loved my job. It was amazing getting to meet new faces all the time and even more amazing when they would get better and go home. It was long hours, but it was worth it. I certainly didn't mind now because I didn't feel like being home with Amy for too long. Not after what happened anyways. Knowing her, she may act like everything is okay, but it really isn't, and I do not want to be around when she blows up. She will need some time to think about what's next for us and how we move on from this point, and I need to do the same.

Throughout the day, I received "I Love You" texts from Amy as usually but today I just didn't really feel like responding back. I know I love Amy, with all my heart as a matter of fact, but what was wrong with me? Lunch time came and went, and I was still sort of avoiding her texts, I really hope she didn't notice but I can't explain it to myself much alone explain it to her. You would think a vacation would bring you back to reality fresh and feeling new, but not this one. This one brought along more questions and pain than I needed. It was my fault though, I honestly should have never gone to Spain, but I thought it was a good idea at the time. While I'm in my head trying to figure this out, I almost didn't hear Julez speaking to me.

"Aless! Aless, you weirdo!" She said as she pulled me out of my trance. "You ok?" As I finally realized what was going on.

"Yea" I said, diving back into reviewing my patients chart.

"You know you can talk to me, we can grab dinner tonight and we can go over what's really bothering you".

"Uh, you know. That's actually a good idea, I could use a night out". I figured it couldn't hurt, but then again. What do I know.