Chapter Four

I woke up to a car horn with a sharp pain in my neck. I must have fallen asleep on the loveseat. I massaged my neck and got up. I looked around and saw the time. The clock read 7:45. Oh crap, I was late. I opened the door and saw Luke waiting outside. He got out of the car and started walking toward the door. I looked at the ground, feeling lucky I still had my jacket on. I'm sure my makeup is bad though.

"Hey Em. You ready?" he asked. I shook my head and sighed.

"No. I kinda just woke up. Come in and make yourself comfortable while I get ready." I say and run upstairs. I got to my bathroom and fix my makeup. I look okay and go downstairs. I see Luke before he sees me. He was looking at Jake's pictures. He shakes his head and look at a picture of me and my mom. I see a smile form on his face and he stares at it. I clear my throat and he turns quickly. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"You ready now?" he asked. I nodded and he put his arm around my shoulders. We headed to the car and started for school. I rested my arm on the armrest and he does too. I smile and he chuckled softly. I look at him and he messes with his lip ring.

I looked at him questioningly when he doesn't turn into the school parking lot. He smiled and pats my leg. It sends sparks from my leg to my heart.

"Where are we going?" I asked, a little worried now.

"Don't worry, Em. You'll like it." He chuckled and continued down the road. I rolled my eyes though a smile found it's way to my face. I stared out the window and wondered where we were going.

We pulled in to the gym parking lot and I looked at him annoyed.

"Oh, thank you for bringing me to the gym. You were right, I do like it. I'd much rather be here than school." I said and grabbed my bag. I got out of the car and waited for him to get out.

"Em, calm down. We aren't here for the gym, we're here for frozen yogurt." He laughed at me and I blushed.

"Sorry. Thank you." I said and he nodded. He put his arm loosely around my waist and I did the same. We walked inside and got our regular. We sat at our normal seats, by the window, and I got out our assignment.

"Seriously, Em?" he asked and laughed. I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"Of course. If you're gonna force me to miss school, I'm gonna force you to do our project." I smiled. He smiled back and sighed.

"You're a weird one." He said. I smiled and nodded.

"Of course I am. Now come on!" I said and hit his shoulder.

"Ow, okay okay." He laughed and we started working. We were there for hours, working on a story. We decided to go with Luke's idea and we had to start working on the lines.

A/N: If my French is wrong, don't blame me, blame Google Translate.

"Tu es belle." He said and smiled. I looked at him in confusion and he chuckled softly.

"It means you're beautiful." I felt a blush find it's way to my face and he smile shyly. I thought about what to say and how to say it.

"Vous êtes incroyable." I said and smiled.

"What does that mean?" he asked.

"You're amazing." I said and smiled. He smiled and nodded.

"Merci." He said. The way French rolled off his tongue was simply incredible.

"Merci." I answered and we laughed.

"You know, this isn't where I was actually going to take you." He said, looking outside. I looked with him quietly, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Where were you going to take me?" I asked curiously.

"It's too late now, but I was going to take you to the mall." He said.

"Why is it too late?" I asked, knowing it was only 1:00.

"I have to take goody two shoes back to school." He laughed. I gasped dramatically and hit him.

"For your information, I am not a goody two shoes." I crossed my arms.

"You're right, a goody two shoes wouldn't have looked at me like you were yesterday when I was working out." He winked and I blushed. So he did notice.

"U-um l-look, I was j-just-."

"Just checking me out. It's okay, I'd check me out too." He said and flexed his muscles. I let out a snort on accident and covered my mouth. Luke busted out laughing at me and I laughed with him.

When the laughing died down, we both took a deep breath and he looked at me. I looked at him and smiled a small smile. He returned it, just as big as mine. I really wanted to lean in and feel his lips on mine. But, I couldn't. I don't want him in any danger. If Jake ever found out, I don't even want to think about what would happen.

I suddenly get out of my chair and go outside. I have to prevent myself from doing something stupid. I hears the door bust open and soon Luke had his strong arms around me. I hug him back tightly, I didn't care how much it hurt.

"What happened? What did I do?" he asked against my neck. It sent shivers down my spine and I let out a shaky breath.

"Luke, I wasn't you. I promise. You're perfect." I said and wish I hadn't. It slipped.

"Then why are you with him?" he asked. My eyes widened and snapped up to meet his.

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"If I'm so perfect, why are you with him?" he asked and pulled away. I had no idea what to say. I couldn't tell him, nothing good could come from telling him.

"L-Luke I..." I trailed off and saw his face fall into a frown.

"You can't tell me can you? You can never tell me. Come on, Em! I'm your best friend. Don't you trust me?" he asked, hurt obvious in his voice.

"I do! It's just that...I think you should take me home." I said and looked down.

"You're serious?" he asked in disbelief. I nodded and let the tear that I was battling to keep in fall. He sighed and went back inside. He came back out with our stuff. He angrily stormed off to the car and I followed.

He drove me back home with no words spoken. The whole time, he had an angry look on his face. His lips were always in a tight line. His knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel so tight.

When we got to my house, I opened the door slowly. I looked at him hopeful he would say something.

"Please say something." I begged. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I don't think it's a great idea for you to come over this weekend." He said. My mouth fell open and tears filled my eyes.

"Luke, come on, I-."

"See you tomorrow, Emily." He said. I angrily grabbed my bag and stormed to my door. I opened I and heard Luke's tires squeal off. I went in and threw my backpack. I heard it hit the wall and I rolled my eyes. I picked it up and set it down on the couch. I collapsed onto the couch and closed my eyes.

I always seem to mess things up with Luke.