Ch 4 Cultivation

Today, Lan Long had finally turned 4-year-old. His clansmen and elder offered him gifts and wealth. Lan Long accepted all these a stowed them into his room. Lan Long didn't care for these precious herbs and jewelry. He was going to confront his parents and demand them to teach him cultivation. He was nervous and excited but neither of these emotions were seen on his face. On one hand, he was excited on the prospect of cultivation but on the other hand Lan Long was afraid of hard work. Every book he read, all the heroes had one part common, they were all hard working to the maximum and Lan Long was anything but. Soon, he reached his parent's chambers and stood in front of the door. He didn't knock because of two reasons. One, he knew all cultivators had keen senses. Even, Lan Long had particularly keen senses despite not cultivating, he had chalked this up to the humans of the new world.

"Come in." His father voice boomed from the inside. Lan Long entered the chambers. He found his mother standing beside his father who was sitting on an elevated platform. Tian Long had a stern look on his face.

"Father. Mother." Lan Long bowed slightly and steeled his heart. "I want to cultivate. Please guide me." He said as he looked at his parents with determined look.

"What did you just say?" Tian Long raised his voice slightly. Lan Long's mother broke eye contact with him immediately and looked elsewhere.

"Father, I want to cultivate and become stronger." Lan Long said with the same tone he used earlier.

"Do you even know how hard it is to cultivate? Do you know how many children die of Ki poisoning? Do you know how cruel the world of cultivators is?" Tian Long said in a flat tone. The atmosphere now was worse than before.

"I would be lying if I said yes." Lan Long answered in low voice. "But father, clearly do. You can teach me."

"Well. Take a look at these books and memorize them word for word." Tian Long said as he waved his hand and a few books flew out of his sleeve and landed in a neat pile in front of Lan Long. "Remember one thing, if you fail to memorize the books by the end of the month, punishment will be due." Tian Long said as Lan Long was about to pick up the books. The warning didn't faze Lan Long for even a moment as he picked up the books and bowed to his parents as he left.

"A month. Really? Even you needed more than 2 months to digest the basics." Chu Ren said after Lan Long had left the room. "The time limit will not be enough for heavenly geniuses let alone for a child with mediocre talent." Su Ren felt wronged by her husband's time constraint. He had set their child to an impossible task.

"Let his taste defeat in his first task. Let him know of the unfairness of the punishment. Only then will he up to it." Tian Long said these words as the pulled Su Ren in his arms.

Lan Long had no idea that he was set to an impossible task, he had rushed to his room and read the titles of each book. 'Book of Energy channeling', 'Sutra of Elements', 'The Nature's Way' and many more. He had been about 15 books about all the basics to cultivation. None of these books, a cultivation technique. He been handed information equal to fundamentals equations in mathematics and not any application methods. His task was to memorize the content of all the books before the month. He had begun to read the first book immediately.

After a few hours, he had finished reading the all the books. He was feeling slightly disappointed as he felt that the task was bit disappointed because he felt that the task at hand was too easy. The time he had spent in the void had granted his clear mind, sharp perception and amazing memory. He didn't even need a few hours to memorize all the books. His mind would instantly memorize everything that took place around him to the finest of details. The task was completed before the day even ended and hence forth, Lan Long started to experiment, the idea of controlling Ki with his mind was very intriguing to him. Lan Long closed his eyes and entered the ethereal state of mind. He began to sense his surrounding, after he had a crystal-clear image in his mind, he started to look for naturally occurring ki.