13. the bionic 500

Haley's P.O.V.

I never thought in my whole life that I would hear of a rich man that was more annoying than Davenport. I should've known that since I knew the Davenports, weird things were going to happen.

Bree and Chase decided to walk with me to school because they told me they had to fill me in on what happened last night. Apparently, they got this new, rich neighbor who drives his car on the Davenports' lawn every night and keeps them up. They also told me about how Davenport wears silk, cheetah print pajamas and I was very thankful that I didn't have to see or live with that.

When we got to school, we saw Leo at the very front of the line. Today was Locker Reassignment Day, and knowing Leo, he wanted to get the best locker.

"Leo, how'd you get to be first in line for locker reassignments?" Chase asked him when we walked up to him.

"Oh, since I couldn't get any sleep, I've been here since dawn. FYI, you do not want to see the lunch ladies without makeup." Leo told us.

"Wait, they wear makeup?" Bree asked surprised and Leo nodded his head. I heard Adam walk up behind me so he could listen to the conversation.

"But since I'm first in line, I'll finally get the corner locker." Leo said.

"Wait a second. I thought this was the line for lice check?" Adam said. He made a face when he realized he was wrong and then walked away from us. Leo looked over at the corner locker and stared at it dreamily.

"There she is. Locker 106. Away from the traffic, near the cheerleaders, and I can see Principal Perry before anyone else. And a two second head start could save a life." Leo pointed out and Bree, Chase, and I all agreed with him.

As Bree and Chase walked off, I asked Leo, "Do you want me to wait with you?"

"Yes please." He said to me.

Right after he said that, Perry walked out of her office. She shouted, "Listen up, weasels! It's Locker Reassignment Day. Why, you ask? A little trick I learned from my days as a prison guard: never let the perbs get comfy!" She laughed before continuing, "Also, drag your hands through mashed potatoes to check for weapons. Mmm, enjoy your lunch!"

"So that's why she does that." I muttered to Leo.

"Alright Dooley, what locker do you want?" Perry asked him.

"The corner one." He told her.

"Already taken!" She said and then laughed. Leo and I looked at each other confused.

"What? By who?" I asked.

"By me." A voice said from behind us. We turned around and saw a taller boy with Disney Prince hair walking towards us. He had on a blue long sleeve shirt and khakis. I could tell from his voice that he was going to get on my nerves. He waved his arm in front of him as he introduced himself, "Clayton Harrington."

"Well, Clayton Harrington," Leo mockingly said as we both waved our arms in front of us like he did, "I know you're new here, but I was first in line."

"Oh, I know. That's why I offered Principal Perry an all expense paid trip to go wherever she wants." Clayton said. Um what?

"Staten Island cat show, here I come!" She said excitedly and Leo and I just gave her a weird look.

"But that's not fair!" I told her, defending my best friend.

"I know. Isn't injustice infuriating?" She asked me before laughing and walking off. I really despised that woman.

"Why do you care so much about getting the corner locker?" Leo asked Clayton Harrington.

"Oh, I don't, but I hate lines and Harringtons don't wait. We let our money do the talking and   right now," Clayton said as he pulled out a one hundred dollar bill, "It's saying, 'You don't have as much as I do.'" He made it seem like the money was talking, which made him seem like he was a toddler. He began to laugh as he walked away from us.