6. Something so good

February 17th, 1993
Harlem, New York

Emoni,

"Emoni? Emoni?"

"Emoni get up," I slowly opened my eyes to be faced with Birdie's beige walkway.

A sigh escaped my mouth, as I centered my head to face front. I saw a pair of blue nikes, and also a pair of blue and white chuck taylors. "Nic?" I questioned, while shutting my eyes.

"Yes girl, it's me." she said.

I rolled my eyes, letting out another sigh in annoyance. "Who's with you?"

"Kandi,"

"Ugh, why did you have to bring her out of all people?"

"Eh," Kandi spoke. "Because she needed a way over here to come and get yo little bougie ass."

I sat up. "Bitch, what?"

She scoffed. "Bitch?"

"Yeah, I don't think I stuttered."

"Emoni can you shut the hell up, damn!" Nic shouted, stopping our little argument session.

"Me? She's the one who called me bougie!" I argued.

"Emoni do you not see yourself right now?! This is not the time to be arguing with Kandi!"

"Why are you yelling at me?!" I questioned in shock.

"Because your sitting here arguing about stupid shit, when you need to be getting your shit together," she said to me calming her tone.

"What do you mean? Just because I got into it with that dick head of a man, does not mean that I need to get my shit together," I rolled my eyes just thinking about him.

Nic sighed. "Can you go wait for us in the car, Kandi?"

"Mhmm," she flipped her braids to her back before switching off.

"Ghetto bitch," I spat in disgust.

"Look, you need to stop worrying about her and get the hell up off of this man's porch, girl."

"Whatever," I grabbed my bag, before standing to my feet. "How did you even know that I was here?"

"Your so called 'dick head of a man' called me."

"How did he get your number?" My eyes got big in shock. "Nic please don't tell me you said yes to his offer?"

"What? Emoni what are you even talking about?" she questioned, with a confused look on her face.

I shook my head. "Never mind."

"Girl what happened?"

"I don't know, Nic," I let out a low sigh. "I messed up," I admitted, running my fingers through my wild hair.

She sighed. "You didn't mess up, Emoni."

"Yes I did, Nic! He threw me out," I said, biting down on my bottom lip to keep from crying.

She sighed, shaking her head, placing her hand on my shoulder. "Damn, girl. What even happened?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I just, snapped."

"It's okay E. It's not the end of the world, if he wants you, he wants you and if he doesn't, he doesn't."

"Can we just get out of here please? I don't wanna be here any longer."

She smiled. "Yeah, come on." She threw her arm around my shoulder and we walked down his walkway.

Nic took her arm from around me, walking up to the car, opening up the back door, wide enough for me to get inside. "Thank you." I said while climbing into the vehicle.