27. Doing my own thing

June 26th, 1993

Emoni,

I woke up to the smell of breakfast, a smell that I missed all too well. A small smile grew on my face as I sat up in bed and it grew bigger as I got up. I grabbed my housecoat quickly putting it on. "Something smells good," I said as I walked into the kitchen.

Birdie turned around and smiled at me. "Yep. I'm makin' all of your favorites."

"Mmm." I licked my lips, sitting down just thinking about all the savory food that I was about to enjoy.

"Eggs, grits, sausages, bacon, waffles, and, cinnamon buns." he named off the items as he sat them in front of me.

A frown formed on my face as I realized what was really going on right now. "Where are you going this time?" I questioned looking up at him.

He sighed as he sat a plate in front of me. "I gotta take care of some shit with the team."

"Oh," I said not even surprised. "Thanks for the 'special' breakfast I guess."

He kissed his teeth. "Why you gotta be like that? I'm tryin'."

"What? I didn't say anything. I think it's great that you're focused on something at least."

He sighed before setting the orange juice down in front of me. "Baby, ya know the final game is coming up soon and I need to get them as ready as possible."

"Baby it's fine, go be with your team." I fake smiled.

"I'll make it up to you I promise." He said.

"Mhmm," I said staring down at my large plate of food.

He kissed my cheek softly before jogging out the door. I sat there with mixed emotions staring down at my food. I don't know why but I soon lost my appetite and I just wanted to go back to bed.

But I shouldn't do that, I should go out so for once I listened to my mind and not my heart and decided to go out. I poured a glass of orange juice and marked it with my black lipstick before walking away going back up the stairs.

I left the food so he can know that his little breakfast trick is not gonna work anymore. He's gonna have to do better than that if he's gonna leave me alone all day.

My happiness is more than a hot meal. But I'm not gonna let him get to me today, we've been doing good these last two weeks and I wanted it to stay that way. The only thing that I think could use a little work is the time we spend together.

Lately, Birdie has been spending most of his time worrying about his team that the time we get together has fallen short, very short, but I guess maybe we do spend most of our time together anyways and I need to do my own thing sometimes...

Maybe then I won't be always feeling like I need to spend more time with him because I really don't. I got out of my thoughts when the phone rings. I sighed getting up from the bed, who could be calling home at this hour.

I jogged into the other room grabbing the phone off the hook quickly putting it to my ear.

"Hello?" I spoke, anxious for an answer for some reason.