22. I did not know....

June 7th, 1993

Emoni,

"You should have let his ass call Monte," Nic said as she walked over to the couch.

"No that would be pointless." I waved her off.

"Pointless how?"

"Because they are friends. You really think that he would tell the truth?"

"You right, " Kandice said before stuffing some chips in her mouth.

"And besides. It doesn't matter, I believe my baby." I said to her as a smile grew on my face.

"Well, as long as you believe him I guess that's all that matters." Nic shrugged.

I smiled. "Thank you."

She smiled back before getting up to take the chips and dip into the kitchen. I curled my legs up trying to get comfortable on the couch due to the tense feeling that fueled within me, from it just being Kandice and me in the room now.

"I don't bite," she said, sounding sarcastic.

"Mhmm," I said giving off a fake smile.

She rolled her eyes before she got up off the couch. "Bye bitch, " I mumbled as she walked into the kitchen.

Ugh, I can't stand this chick man. I swear the sooner Nic stops hanging out with her the better.

Soon after Nic came out of the kitchen holding a different bag of chips and more dip. "Ooo! Bring that over here!" I squealed out.

"You never eat chips, 'Mrs. I got to watch my figure.' " she mocked sitting the stuff down.

I laughed. "Whatever. I just want a few."

"Mhmm." See, Birdie's dirty eating habits catching up to you." she said pointing her finger at me.

"Ew no, I would never eat like him," I said causing her to laugh.

"I'm serious. The way he eats I'm surprised he's not fat." I said before siding with the celery.

"Shoot you tellin' me? During break time he eats like a straight pig." She agreed.

I shook my head at her before responding. "That's my Birdie."

"Yep, it sho is."

I bit into my piece of celery before laying back on the couch, putting my arms behind my head.

"So? What's sup witchu' and Ronny?" Kandice asked Nic after swallowing down her chicken.

"Girl, not a damn thing. He helped me with my books and that's it."

She scoffed. "That's it?"

"Yes, that's it. I'm a basketball player I don't have time for no dehydrated ass boy in my life right now."

Kandice chuckled while licking hit sauce off her fingers. "I know that's right."

I sat up holding my knees to my chest, shocked by Nic's words. "You don't like anybody?" I questioned.

"Nope," she responded not even looking my way. She just kept her eyes on her basketball as she twirled it on her pointer finger.

I smirked, not believing a word she's saying. "You will soon enough."

"Ugh, don't remind me."

I kissed my teeth. "Why do you say that?"

"Because." she sighed. "I'm at the top of my game right now. The last thing I need right now is to be trippin' over some high school crush."